Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Lens envy

While we were at the Queen Wilhemia Tulip garden yesterday, there was a big crowd and a photo session happening in front of us.

We did not know if the marriage was happening in front of us or it was just a post wedding photography session, but was amazing to watch the way people took their time to pose, get the group dynamic going and the photographer trying to arrange this group shot!

Having tried to assemble 40+ relatives for a family shoot at my Grandparents anniversary ceremony, the difficulty of orchestrating something like this dawned on me again and was in awe at the way this photographer was "conducting" the group.




While the families (us and the cousins) were mostly looking at the wedding dresses, trying to figure out who the groom was, etc. etc. (the kids constantly kept screaming.. who IS she marrying in there?), yours truly was all focussed on the photographer lady's gear.

She had diffusers on her camera that looked like giant cups, a lens that would make my lens look less endowed and a battery pack that was part of the camera and visible almost 80 feet away!

She would run back and forth to the crowd, simply because here instructions would not carry in the noise of the ocean. Yes, this place is a block from the beach, right next to the SFO zoo entrance. Every now and then she would go on a clicking spree and her flash would be so faithful to her.

My 50mm lens was dropped on the ground (after two bounces) and the lens popped out of the housing during our Sacramento zoo trip, the day after thanksgiving. While trying to exchange lenses to enable zooming on a snow leopard that had suddenly decided to give darshan to its waiting devotees, I dropped the lens because it looked up and growled at me.

Not used to being growled at by snow leopards and having a camera and two lenses in my hand, the 50 mm just jumped up and fell some 8 feet away and was in two pieces. It was pushed back in and held with some crazy glue and found to be still functional, but with some caveats.

a. Manual focusing only
b. The lens had to be held against the body at all times (or it would pop out)

After seeing the photographer do her magic, told myself that the 50 mm would be used as much as possible and still get decent pictures. Well, 20% came out good, but that 20% was still worth sharing...

Here are four more photos...













Sometimes old and damaged equipment can still give you good results.. if you are pissed off enough to take it up as a challenge!

I know this is counter productive to justifying my getting a new lens... but the truth is, as they say, the truth!


.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:27 AM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

Amazing ! Indeed !

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Sundar, 50 mms are less than $110. I do most of my great shots with mine. Just get a new one! It's so worth it. Check out B&H photo Video. ~Angela

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:06 PM, Blogger Sriram wrote...

super pics. you should get a new lens :)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:19 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

Kavi, thanks.

Angela, was trying to convince San that I deserve the f1.4 version of 50 mm for 325 bucks..

you are right. if that doesn't get approved, just going to get a replacement 50mm f1.8

Sriram, thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home