Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Sunday, June 18, 2006

What is the probability that ....

One of the other highlights of last week was the final exam. The instructor actually told us to bring our books, notebooks, notes, any other text (everything except a laptop where google searches might bring out answers) and the exam was supposed to be tough with the open books. He gave us a surprise.. The exam was for 130 points !!

The last 30 points was a bonus quesion, in case you couldnt answer anything in the first 100, you could answer the bonus question and make up for it !! But guess what, almost everyone in the room finished the first 100 points in half the time and were struggling with the bonus for the next hour..There was a steady stream of people walking up to the instructor trying to get more information (hints for the answer) on the bonus question. I was in the first row and couldnt help overhear the questions.. especially the girls in the class. They were pretty much trying to elicit the answer from the guy by asking questions like "how are we supposed to proceed with this problem ?".. I never knew that this was a valid question you could ask the instructor in a final exam !!!

For my part, I asked him if there are negative points if I attempt the bonus and give up, or if Igive a wrong answer.. he said "no" and I gladly handed him my paper and walked out ! I never figured out the logic, especially since the exam was on continuous probability. I am not smart enough to get the first 100 points, what is the chance that I will answer an even tougher bonus question !

2 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 5:25 PM, Blogger tt_giant wrote...

I think that was a good decision. Afterall, you could atleast strike a balance between effort and reward!

How is student life (after break) in general?

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 3:52 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

ttg, student life sucks.. i think student life after two kids is not a good idea..

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home