Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Thursday, August 04, 2005

BARR - Swati Tiffins

This review is long overdue. We have been going to Swathi Tiffins for almost a year now and have seen it go through changes - in appearance and food quality.

Swathi Tiffins is in Namaste Plaza on your way to Central Expressway West on Lawrence Expressway North. A nice little place with Telugu TV playing in the background, it has been remodeled recenty to have closed eating nooks instead of the all open seating.



This used to be one of our favorite hangouts, so much that I started having get togethers here, with my old work buddies who left for greener pastures. The place got rave reviews from all my buddies, indian, chinese, isreali and yankee !

But recently, the cook seems to make a habit out of insulting my taste buds.. maybe a new cook, I dont know. This place had one of the best rava dosa's in the bay area but there has been a noticeable slump in quality.


Wait time : 5 minutes
Food wait time from order : 10-15 minutes
Check time : 3 minutes (Visa or Mastercard ONLY !! Pay before you eat)
Average price per person : $8
Rating "My wife can cook better".
Service : They call your number and you pick up your food.

Items sampled : Rava Dosa, Upma, Poori, Thali, Idli.

The rava dosa was average (too oily, too thick). Made me long for the once crispy thin dosa from the same place 8 months ago.

The Upma was below average but the poori was EXCELLENT. This is one item which is still good at Swathi tiffins. The idli was okay and the sambar above average (another thing that has gone down in quality).

Now coming to the one item that makes you really go "what the Heck ?". The rasam in the thali was actually tomato puree with some sambar powder. It lacked the taste or consistancy of what can even come within three standard deviations of your average "rasam". My wife who ordered the thali was really disappointed.

The little one ate the idly without complaining but was not overly enthusiastic.

This place could regain its place if they changed a few items to their old quality levels.

4 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Although I have no doubts about your wife's cooking, I believe the Khara masala Dosa there is just exceptional -- if you can handle spice, that it. I have not eaten anything there and can not comment on

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Although I have no doubts about your wife's cooking, I believe the Khara masala Dosa there is just exceptional -- if you can handle spice, that is. I have not eaten anything else there and can not comment.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

hulo i am also from andra. i licke the chino-indo cuiseen.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

this place has gone from bad to worse. This restaurant is at the bottom of the hygiene scale. It's restrooms and tables are equally filthy and the situation has gone from bad to worse. Today was my last visit since I found a dead roach on one of the tables. This had probably landed from the false ceiling so there must be some infestation in the whole place, including the kitchen. This is one place to avoid if you don't want to get sick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home