Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Saturday, April 11, 2009

From one world to another

My mother was standing next to me on top of the steps at Sri Kumaran stores in Mylapore during the temple festival. As I videotaped the procession of the various gods on their vaahanams(props, if you will) and the gods rolled past us one by one, with a pit stop or two at shades built for the purpose, an elderly uncle asked me a very simple question:

"Ange Americala indha maadhiri edhavadhu unda?"
(In America, do you have anything similar to this?)

His tone was suggesting that I would make him proud by answering in the negative. Being born with a disease called "dontknowwhentoshutuposis" my reply was

"irukku mama. USA-layum indha maadhiri oru utsavam irukku!"
(yes uncle. even in the USA they have something like this!)

My mother saw the mischievous glint in my eyes and took me six feet away from said mama and asked,
Mom : "where in gods name was there a procession like this in the US of A?".
Me : Mousaandavar Kovil-la idhe maadhiri oru oorvalam irukkamma.. (in the mouseaandavar temple there is a procession just like this!)
Mom : Adhu endha Kovil? (what temple is that? I don't remember)
Me : Walt-aalvaar kattina Kovil! (the one that the devotee Walt built for the Mouse)

When I calmly told her that the Disney parade is the american version of the Kapali utsavam, she started laughing.

Had that been said that to my grandma, she would have said "siva sivaa", "enna piththukuli thanam" or something to that effect and hit me on the head with some blunt object. Mom on the other hand actually liked that logic, especially after my other comparisons.

In the utsavam, the vinayagar and nayanamars go first and peps up the crowd, much like the initial clowns and characters that walk in costume at the head of the disney parade.

Then of course come the vendors selling popcorn, cotton candy, little flourescent toys, etc. much like the kaathadi, bangle and pori kadalai sellers who have a three minute time window, to use the artificial sense of emergency to make a quick buck.

This is then followed by the band (naayanam) and the floats with the stars of the parade. Different gods, different props. The priests hand over sacred ash, vermillion and fruits and flowers to the crowd much like the cartoon characters sprinkle glitter around. The disney parade is on motorized floats while the Kapali floats are carried by people and that seems to be the only difference.

People who have a zillion gods and godesses can have the luxury of selecting the parade favorites. If not, you have to go for funny ducks and adorable mice!

Mylapore -> Los Angeles
Vinayagar -> Pluto
Chandikeswarar -> Goofy
Karthikeya -> Donald duck
Kapali and his -> Mickey mouse and his
consort Karpagambal -> consort Minnie Mouse

It is almost one for one! Mickey mouse brings up the grand finale in LA while Kapali's entry back into the temple closes the parade in Mylapore. One has got to wonder if Walt Disney was a mylapore resident at some point.

When you accept the Dinsey Utsavam to be a replica of Kapaliworld, you are truly on your way to bliss!


.

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:47 PM, Blogger ~nm wrote...

I had such a good laugh when you equated the temple procession with that of Disney world.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:56 AM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

Konjam Over !! Mousandavar Kovil !! LOL !!

Walt Aalvaar !!

:)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Iyengar wrote...

this is not a laughing matter..u feel u r a genius having made a comparison like this..shame on you..Atleast give respect to God..if we people r talking like tis and how do we expect westerns to appreciate these things..

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:23 AM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

I am LOL right now after reading Iyengar's comment... this is truly hilarious.

where does it come across that I do not respect god?

Iyengar Sir, please take some more time and read the post again. I was expecting some western fanatic to attack me for insinuating that Walt Disney copied his parade from India.. definitely not this!

:)

just goes to show that no matter what you write and how you write it, there will be someone who skims through a post, rushes into conclusions and cries "shame on you".

we live in a funny world. We really do.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:43 AM, Anonymous Iyengar wrote...

Some people dont learn do they?

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:46 AM, Anonymous WA wrote...

WOW loved it. Got to send this to my parents, they sure would appreciate it.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

I am so going to steal this idea :-)

Good imagination. Sorry to see that some ppl are against it but hey only popular ppl -ve remarks

Keep it coming,
V

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 2:33 PM, Blogger tt_giant wrote...

kalakiteenga!! even i use -aalvaars- prefix to good effect!

something tells me that this should be your most complete india trip.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 2:34 PM, Blogger tt_giant wrote...

should be suffix.. sry!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

sundar:

better iyengar/iyer than ayatollah!

iyengar:

each little mouse has god inside it. what we see is a subset of what we want to see.

we students used to refer to a trip to juarez (multiple h-1 facility) as a pilgrimage. not too many do that nowadays, i take it, and i hope we who did it didn't unwittingly demean our holy places!

- s.b.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home