Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Outnumbered 4:1 !!

This is not a sympathy post !!

Ever since my wife gave birth to the baby and started the recovery process, we are getting used to a new diet. One that is focussed on helping the pregnant woman recover. If my mother in law does cook other stuff and we eat it, both of us feel guilty because my wife cannot eat the stuff.

The stuff we eat is being made very tasty, thanks to the transforming power of Indian spices. However, the choice of raw materials is questionable.

I am not complaining about the fact that the whole house smells of garlic, this includes the wife, the kids, me, my M-I-L and did I mention the whole house !! This is okay because I happen to like garlic.

The recent diet has a heavy dose of the Indian Bottle Gourd called "Doodhi" by Indians. The Indians claim that it is as Indian a veggie as they come and it helps pregnant women secrete more MILK !! The web page I linked shows that this vegetable came from Africa to India and all it mentions is that it is a tasty vegetable, sans any special benefits. I am not a big fan of the taste of the Doodhi. It tastes like cabbage, but while my wife and mother in law are running the

"GOT DOODHI ? GOT MILK ?" campaign I am running the

"Say NO to Doodhi !" campaign.

If this vegetable is indeed good for lactation, and possibly branded as one that promotes female hormones of sorts, I should be excluded. Just because I am outnumbered 4:1 in this house, I should not have to eat doodi. But in the meantime, I dont want to stop eating this stuff because I am just fixated on this lactation stuff. Maybe this is just another tasty veggie !! Can anyone else out there reading this, confirm medicinal properties of Doodhi (doodi) ???

6 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:34 AM, Blogger TJ wrote...

Doodhi??
Naa kelvi pattadhe illai saar, inspite of the same Garlilc-Pathiyam campaign running back home after my sister's deliery recently!!

Bottle gourd is Soraikkai, is what i know!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:25 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

:)) :)) :)) ROTFL. officela canteen irukkaa? Anyways, don't complain when someone else is cooking for you.

Tj - I think Doodhi is the same thing as sorraikkai (I think)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 5:16 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

tj, apparently soraikai in tamil is doodi in hindi.. north indians call it doodi !!

and yes in english it is bottle gourd.

wa, ungalukku romba kindala pochcha.. i am not complaining about the taste or the food.. erkanave 3 years no exercise. it looks like i am growing breasts.. to top things off, veggies that improve lactation.. me scared that the women are trying to do something to me.. he he..

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:14 AM, Blogger Visithra wrote...

ehhehe lol but no one will pavam u since someone is cooking for u ;)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 2:12 PM, Blogger Balaji S Rajan wrote...

You do not need to eat whatever is cooked at home. You still have a choice don't you. So better you have something.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 5:37 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

visithra, ungalukku romba nakkala pochchu..

balaji sir, enna samaikkaraangalo, adha vaaya poththikittu saapadravan naan..

here is the reason for the post :

1st : people notice my "ganabaadigal" type chest during the naming ceremony.
2nd : eating too much doohi
3rd : the baby tried to grab my chest in an attempt to get milk.. granted it was dark and she was hungry.. still.. one has to be scared !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home