Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Sleepless in Sunnyvale

No ! I am not trying to do a rip on the Tom Hanks movie..

Have been going through a tough week at home.

The nocturnal baby is definitely one of gods cruel jokes! She sleeps so peacefully in the morning in spite of the high noise level, high intensity ambient light and all the intense cooking smell that surrounds the house (since we live in heated homes, it is not wise to open the windows and air out the stong spice smell.. your heating bill might double !).

At night, she is up and making all these attention craving noises in spite of nice heating, no smell, low lighting! They say every baby is different. This one might look like the older kid, but behaviour wise, she is far from the first one !

My only solace ? You guessed it.. reading blogs. The little one is very quiet when I have her on my shoulders. So I just put her on my shoulders for almost an hour and keep reading blogs !! This goes on from 10-11AM, 1-2 AM then 3-4AM ..

My uncle used to quote Swami Vivekananda all the time - "Pasiththu iru, thaniththu iru, vizhiththu iru" to get enlightened !(which translates to "be hungry, be alone, be awake" - I dont know if the hungry part refers to "hungry for food" or "hungry for knowledge" ) either way..

I think this must be one of those "all or nothing" ideas. I am awake, I am hungry .. but I am not alone because I have a kid on my shoulder and this is not doing much to improve my current state of things, leave alone enlightenment !!

The only "lightening" that is happening is that my baby burps and poops every time I stare at the screen in the middle of the night with her on my shoulder !

The midnight blogging will continue ...

9 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:08 PM, Blogger Balaji wrote...

u r reading all those blogs. so there's some knowledge gained :)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Paavam neenga.. anyway, innum konjam masam pallai kadichu poruthukkonga..

If u are interested in cricket, just subscribe to online watching.. time porathey theriyathu.. (hhehehe. naan adhai thaane panrenn..)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 5:54 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

balaji, you are right.. i actually found out about birth on an airplane after reading kaps blog..

raju, definitely interested in cricket. cricinfo'la freeave varume .. edhukku subscribe ellam pannanum ?

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:16 PM, Blogger Visithra wrote...

Hehehe poop and burped while u read blogs lol see at least shes such a wonderful kid quietly keeping you company while u read blogs at ungodly hours - what must she think

- this daddy is always at the computer - i must learn how to crawl fast before he gets me addicted ;p

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:42 PM, Blogger Krish wrote...

Naan correction vaadhyaar nu ninaichchukka vendaam, but if my recollection is right, that quote was actually by "Thavaththiru Ramalinga Adigal aka Vallalaar" :-)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:33 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

Hee Hee all the babies seem to this, stay awake at night and sleep during the day! Ellam southern hemispherela porandhirukka vendiya babieso ennavo :) Or maybe you should think of emigrating to the South :D

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:57 PM, Blogger Narayanan Venkitu wrote...

Hang in there Sundar..She'll change soon.!! I know it is tough but kids get adjusted soon...I've been there done that.!!

I am glad you have that time to read blogs .!!

Adhukkagave..innum oru kozhandhai...umm..!!! Yosanai.!!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:45 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

visithra, i hope your words come true and the little one starts crawling fast..

correction vadhyar, you are probably right.. the quote is in tamil. so probably you are right.. my uncle quoted so many people on a regular basis that it is difficult to keep track.

wa, you may be on to something here. but our first one was a day baby most of the time!!

narayanan sir, treat venuma venama.. mrs. unga commenta paththuttana, treat kadayadhu !!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Well, mr Sundar Narayanan, I was googling for "nocturnal baby" and found your blog. To tell you the truth, i felt better reading your blog tho it was posted like 1.5 years ago? My second baby is the same. He would sleep in the day and start uuh-ing and aah-ing at nite. He sleeps right at 1 or 2 and even then he wakes up every 1 hour or on unlucky nites, every 30 minutes. He is quiet when we put him on our shoulders.

Sometimes I wonder how come white babies sleep better at nights? They even place their babies at seperate rooms....and just leave them there. The babies are usually sleepy but awake and go to sleep by themselves without mummy or daddy around them...

Ippedi? something to do with southern hemisphere, like one of your friends suggested?

Anyhow, I think your baby (now a toddler) is sleeping all the way through the nite....and a bigger load of pride...appedi thane?

-malaysian mom-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home