Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Monday, October 03, 2005

Rava Seedai - something for the road ...

Have been writing about very serious things the last week. Time to write something on the lighter side.

Happened to see "paravai Muniamma"'s Village Feast cooking show on Sunday. She made Rava Seedai (crunchy deep fried rice+ cream of wheat snack). She also claimed that there is always something different about making it fresh at home as opposed to current city dwellers buying it off the stores.

She also sang a song about how kids in the villages may not be going to school (instead they become goat herders), but they get to enjoy fresh made Rava Seedai.

My daughter is going to school and she doesnt get to see a goat unless she goes to a petting zoo, but I didnt want her to miss out on Rava Seedai.

So, put on the apron (my dirty oily towel rather) and made Rava Seedai. Came out well.



The recipe (deceptively simple thanks to paravai muniamma) :
Mix 1/2 cup rice flour + 1/2 cup rava (cream of wheat)+ 2 spoons of butter + 1/2 spoon cumin seeds with minimal water.

Let the dough sit for 30 mins, then roll it into little balls (1cm diameter), WAIT for another 20 Minutes before you deep fry them in oil.

WARNING : Do not try this at home unless you are experienced or have a spatter guard at home!!!

Now, let us look at some of the reasons why city dwellers just buy Seedai from stores instead of making it at home.

a. Making seedai must be the number one cause of death/disability among the untrained novice cook. If the little balls of dough are not dry enough, they explode three four seconds after you drop them in the hot oil. My scientific explanation for this is that the surface hardens first but then the core if still moist must be generating super heated steam which cracks the shell, exploding into a hundred or so bits, propelling the broken shell and hot oil around the room. This I pieced together (CSI style) when my wife tried to make Seedai, when she was a newly married bride !! I am pretty sure most of those unsolved Dowry deaths in India where the women die in the kitchen accidents must have "Seedai Explosion" as the suspected cause.

b. Apartments, houses in City's are not easily cleaned after a Seedai explosion. We have to worry about paying a few hundred bucks to the steam carpet cleaning dude or losing our security deposit on our rental. The village mom on the other hand can take a broom and brush a few layers of dirt (sand) off the floor of her hut and everything is back to normal !!

c. Last but not the least, took me over an hour to make 100 of these little guys and our entire house had to be aired out for another hour to get rid of the oil smell. If this was winter, the Seedai would have cost me an additional $50 in heating bills after the airing out session. I could always pay the $5 at the local Indian grocery store (they would have probably spent 50 cents to make it) and still save myself the heating bill.

It was still nice to taste fresh made Seedai !!

Thanks to Paravai Muniamma for the inspiration , and the insinuation !!!

8 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:07 AM, Blogger mitr_bayarea wrote...

Sundar- nalla enthu for you to try this. Paravai Muniamma intha maathiri recipe kudukara side business vera panrangala-interesting.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:08 PM, Blogger tt_giant wrote...

Aahaa.. Sundar.. u are making me homesick now!. So who cooks better among the 2?.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:37 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

mitr, sakthi masala sunday samayal on sun TV afternoon 1:30..

ttg, among the 2? me or paravai muniamma ???

:)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:13 AM, Blogger tt_giant wrote...

LOL!!

inniki ungalukku unga veetula aapu dhaan!!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 5:38 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

ttg

enakku en veetula aapu ? enga veetla naanga rendu perume nalla cook pannuvom. if it is something non standard, then i take over.

:)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:16 PM, Blogger Narayanan Venkitu wrote...

Umm...I am glad that there is company for my wife.!! She is a fan of Bird.Munimma.!!

Looks like you are a excellent cook....! How about helping us one day with your culinary skills.!! Just kidding.!!

Just this afternoon, I was talking to a good friend of mine in UK. HIs name is Varadha Rajan. He loves your blogs. He told me he read all your posts, all the way to the Holy water bash.!!

I told him, that I'll meet with Sundar one day and post some photos..!! So..please let me know via email.!! We can meet sometime.!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Rav seedai is new to me. Nice work.Beautiful photos. Anyway great job. Keep it up.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:46 AM, Anonymous arunica wrote...

hai sundar, i was little scared after seeing yours list of reasons for the cheedai explosion. Then i tried one that does not explode.. ....

This one is just with rava.

s only rava 1cup, coconut 1/2cup, jeera and salt. Mix with little water and do the balls immediately. No need to wait. Though i m not Muniamma, hope u ll like this if u try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home