Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Whats up doc ?

The long weekend came and went. We didnt even realize it. Baby was running around the house without a diaper the whole weekend like a formula one race car and we were washing her faster than a NASCAR pit crew !

Wipe
Wash
Pat Dry
Apply ointment
Release back on floor
and clean hardwood / carpet in parallel,

all in 2 minutes or less !!

The whole weekend would have been much better if baby got medical help. Yet again the doctors in the USA dont disappoint in disappointing us! The diagnosis is almost always 100% wrong. What the hell do they teach these guys in medical school here ?

In India, there are no fancy gizmos or gadgets, no extravagant scans etc with your roadside clinic doctor. They do have reliable labs where we can get routine blood, urine, stool tests. Here they have very complex technology, but it is like giving a laptop to a monkey !! These guys are usually clueless. My local doctor in India was 90% right in his diagnosis and he would actually do something to make me feel better. This is especially true for pediatricians. Here the guys say "there is a bug going around. that must be it" or look at me like "you came to the hospital because your baby has a loose stomach for the last two days.. what is wrong with you..dont come here unless it is something more serious !".. at least that is pretty much the attitude.

1. How can there be a bug floating around all year long ?
2. I go to these doctors because I am not a doctor myself. If I knew what was wrong with my baby, why would I waste time, money, gas and go to the hospital ?

At this rate, I think I should stop the math courses and start Med. School !!!

5 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Sundar,
I don't think you can generalize your experience to the whole of US. I think it is time that you changed your daughter's pediatrician.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:03 AM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

Many friends of mine have had similar experiences over there. I also think its a question of expectation. In India, if a doc makes a mistake, you shrug your shoulder, and think he has had a 'payment seat' and walk to the next doctor. I guess with all the gadgets and gizmos, expectations are different !

And Sundar !! about the Med School, well, its a road not taken ! At this rate, Jrs life is going to take many turns, and you are going to wish you had done something else in life !!! :-)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:43 PM, Blogger Visithra wrote...

hope baby gets well soon - the drs err no comment

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:22 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

anon, please sign your name in the future in the comments.. even if you dont have a blogger account.. Jr. has a good doctor. but baby and me have been extremely unlucky. and Jr's doc is on maternity leave :(

kavi, you have a point with the expectation part. but my family doctor Jagadeesan (who was my doc from the time I was born to the time i left for the US) was unbelievably good. he was the family doc and it was one big family!! always used to make us feel better.. he was stern when he needed to be, jovial when required.. he always listened to the patient tell his symptoms before he asked his first questions. docs in the US actually interrupt you before you even tell you the problem and start telling you what might be wrong !!!!!!!!!

visithra, thanks. only time will tell. currently testing baby for worms !!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Hope she feels better soon. Agree with you on the family doctors in India, on occasion when the young man was even younger I've rung our doctor, Dr.Ravindran and explained the symptoms over the phone to get his view. It works out a lot quicker and often more efficient despite the distance involved

 

Post a Comment

<< Home