Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Thursday, July 28, 2005

BARR- Bhavikas

I was introdced to Bhavikas as soon as I landed in California by my college buddy. He told me then that it was the best "take out" place in the bay area. I got hooked then and I am still hooked now. You have all heard "home away from home", Bhavikas has been a "mom away from mom" for me. So this review will be biased ! But that is what makes this reviewing fun. Throw in my bias !

This is a little take out (and eat in if you are in the mood) place on the north-east corner of El Camino Real and Henderson. The place doesnt look top notch as a sit and eat restaurant, but the food is great.

Considering the fact that it is located alongside 4 other indian stores, a strip bar and a 7/11, parking is not always easy to find. But once you eat the hot puffy roti's at Bhavikas, I am sure they will motivate you to find parking.


Wait time : 5 minutes
Food wait time from order : 5 minutes
Check time : 1 minutes (here we are talking about the line for paying - no credit cards accepted. it is literally cash or check)
Average price per person : $4.5
Rating "Grandma, where are you ?".
Service : excellent

Items sampled : Practially everything in the menu (over the last 7 years)

But today it was aalo palak, paratha, rotis, lemon rice and dahi (home made yogurt)

Unlike my five tier rating, my daughter has only a two tier rating.
It is either
  • "yummy"
  • "yukkie"

Today she practially sampled everything as "yummy".
She might be biased too.. she has been raised on Bhavikas roti's from a very young age (most of my wifes pregnancy). It is the first place she recognized in terms of directions! If we were anywhere in that neighborhood she would point to the correct direction and say "Bhavikas" when she was only 20 months old!

A lot of my friends think I go to Bhavikas often because it is cheap. That is so not true. I reallllly love their food. The affordability is an added bonus.

Some Tips :

You get really puffy hot rotis if you go there between 7:30-9:00 and on weekends between 12:00-1:30 in the afternoon.

You can sample a spoon of tea before you decide to buy it ! My wife always does that. 75% of the time the tea is out of the world. Sometimes it is too strong for me.

The rice varieties are recent introductions to their menu. The lemon rice is the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home