Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Fingerprint - CSI style !

A day or two ago, I happenend to be in the living room when the Tamizh Mega Serial "Anandam" was playing on Sun TV. No seriously, by now you guys must be thinking that I am part of the regular audience for these serials!! I really just happened to pass by.

As usual, I end up noticing things that the rest of the family is oblivious to. There were these two cops sitting in an office. The younger cop, is laptop savvy and is using a software that compares a suspect fingerprint to a known database to his pot bellied boss.

Normally the CSI type programs show a fixed fingerprint on one side of the screen and a whole bunch of prints go by on the other part of the screen and finally it says "Match" or "UNKNOWN" and of course, if it is a match it shows the guys photo, address, his horoscope, sexual orientation and as many details as can be fit into one computer screen and the CSI's will promptly proceed to the address shown.

Now, this Tamizh serial showed the matching ceremony for a full five minutes !!!!
The suspect fingerprint was on the right side of the screen (note that just like Americans drive on the wrong side, it looks like they have the reference fingerprint on the wrong side as well! but then again as a mathematician you could always argue that we always write x= ? and not ? = x).

With agonizing detail a photo and fingerprint would pop up in slow motion and the word(s) "UN MATCHING" would spiral into the screen. I started laughing because as far as I know, there is no word like that. There were 6-7 UNMATCHING's and finally a fingerprint matched..

The text that spirals to the screen ? MATCHING !!and that made it all clear to me as to why they had used "UNMATCHING" as the opposite of MATCHING. The worse part was that I was told to shut up and also told that I was being too critical ! They got what the director was trying to say and that was good enough..

So, there you go folks, this is how new words get added to the english dictionary.. expect UNMATCHING to be there soon.

ps. I better go and check to make sure that it is not there already.

4 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

totally funny..i laughed out loud. i don't know why tamil serials are known for making the ladies cry..i think they are a source of amusement more than anything else!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 4:15 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

anu

tamizh serials are a new religion..

:)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Yes the point is to communicate thoughts not grammar. U are too critical

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:47 AM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

i am ready to bet that the anonymous comment is from "thai kulam"..

come on, what does it take to have some guy check this, just like to check for continuity in movies ..

anyways, it is a well known fact that I am too critical of tamizh serials.. given a choice i would ban them.. especially since they air them in US at 6-8 (prime time) while in India it is shown from 8-10. . it doesnt give us a chance to have a normal life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home