Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The kiss of death !!

My buddy Greg forwarded this link to me..

Boyfriend has a peanut butter sandwich, kisses girlfriend an hour later, girl who happens to be allegic to peanuts dies !!

Greg forwarded it to me probably because he remembered that I am allergic to peanuts and sesame seeds..

Sometimes, allergies can be really frustrating.. you do not get the same treatment as the sick patients because on the surface you are a normal healthy person.. but in a few seconds, you can go from normal healthy to ER material !!

I usually carry tablets on my person everytime I eat outside or at any party where I do not know who is cooking. Of course my allergic reaction levels are not near death experiences, but I can start gasping for breath or get skin rashes.

The sad part is that it was never diagnosed when I was a kid. Mostly it was trial and error. I still remember that everytime my parents perform a prayer on the memorial day for my dad's parents, they used to give me these treats called "ellu urundais".. literally it means "seasame seed balls" and they were nothing but roasted sesame seeds made into balls with caramel!!

They were yummy, but disastrous for me. I always used to be sick for a week or two after these once a year ceremonies. Finally my parents figured out that there were certain foods that made me sick and they kept those items away from me. Now my wife is left to fight these allergies. She has pretty much given up a lot of things like "cooking in sesame seed oil" or making tamarind rice with peanuts in it.

We substitute vegetable oil for sesame oil and cashew nuts for peanuts !! Boy am I glad that I am not as allergic as that girl who died !! I will gladly eat the tablets and avoid some food items, and it is a good thing I wasnt into kissing girls who eat peanut butter sandwiches.. he he..

6 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:31 AM, Blogger Visithra wrote...

never knew anyone with an alergy - good that u bring the tablets around

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:27 AM, Blogger Swetha wrote...

I know what u mean.. iam allergic to plantains(vaazhakkai)!! I have slight breathing problems for 2 days!! I became allergic all of a sudden... Maybe because of the use of pesticides and the growth-inducing agents they use on these...

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 1:22 PM, Blogger Krish wrote...

"it is a good thing I wasnt into kissing girls who eat peanut butter sandwiches.. he he.."

Andha aasai vere irukkaa unakku, iru, iru,
oottu kaari kitta
pottu koduk karen

:-)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:24 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

visithra, i think people are actually diagnosed only in US. no one has heard about this stuff in india.. only recently indian doctors suspect allergies as cause of throwing up etc.. usually it gets clumped into "food poisoning"

swetha, i know someone who throws up instantly when they eat nendhrangaa varuval..

thennavan.. ennappa.. VPVP-a aarambichchuttiya.. past tense pa. past tense .. ippo andha aasai ellam varuma .. naane edho vaalai surittindu oru moolaila blog pottundu irukken..

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 2:19 AM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

You know what I have always wondered why these allergies only exist in the west, but as your post shows it obviously exists in India too we just don't know of it. Scary stuff

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

1. the kiss didn't happen an hour later.

2. she died of an asthma attack (after being around smokers and smoking pot herself)--NOT f-ing peanuts or a kiss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home