Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Getting used to 10000 square feet ...

Till ten days ago, we used to live in almost 10000 square feet of space in an 1800 square feet home !! This was a vast improvement over our previous home which was 6000 sq. feet and a 1000 sq ft, and we really got used the space.

In an over ambitious attempt to move to a bigger lot and a bigger house, we made some tactical errors and abracadabra !! . . .

We ended up in a 1300 sq feet apartment.. It is definitely not bad by apartment standards. Possibly the best apartment I have stayed in over my entire life in the United States, but I have had this empty feeling inside me for the last ten days..

I miss parking the van in the garage and walking into the kitchen, miss tending to the plants in the garden. More than anything, I always used to beam with pride on the fact that every little thing in that house had our hard work behind us..

We felt the same thing when we sold our first house and moved into the second, now we feel the same loss, especially compounded by the fact that we now have neighbours who bang our walls if we make too much noise. Over the last ten days I have mentally mapped the showering and flushing habits of people in all five families which share walls with us !! (of course I dont know "who" is "who" , but I know that within the family to our left we have a 10:00 PM shower, a 11:30 flush, a 1:30 flush and a 6:00 AM flush.. this within my normal hours of operation in the apartment!). For an entire time table one should contact my mother in law.

It is just a question of time before we will be moving into our next house, but we all agree that we are reallly reallllly reallllllly going to appaeciate our new home, especially after living in an apartment. I know some people are so used to apartment living that they think it is the only way to live... I was one of those people.

But once you get used to 10000 square feet...




you can only be happy with something bigger !!

ps. If you are going to remind me that all it will take is 6 feet when I go down, I know, I know. But while I am alive, I love the space baby !!

5 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 4:21 AM, Blogger Visithra wrote...

i know i know

i cant live in an apartment everything looks small - i like space n roads

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 2:21 AM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

10000 square feet-aa? Cribbing about 1300 square feet apartment??? Hmmmm america vaazh makkal ellam too spoilt :( Engala maadhiri 500, 600 square feet apartmentla irundhuttu ange ponaa dhaan theriyum 1300 sq feetoda arumai :D

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:43 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

visithra... we know your penchant for roads and your liking to stop inthe middle of traffic and take photos.. inspired by your sky photos i tried it once and sangeetha nearly hit me!!.. ippidi ellam inspire pannakoodadhu..

wa, naanum 500 sq ft apartmentla irundhavan dhan.. in madras where my parents live there are 20 flats in 13000 sq ft lot !!!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:05 PM, Blogger Visithra wrote...

lol - the trick is to stop at the traffic light or by the side of the road not when the cars are moving! tsh tsh - thappa inspired ayiruntha ehn thappu illehpa

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

visithra:

"the trick is to stop at the traffic light or by the side of the road not when the cars are moving!"

i think the trick is not to stop moving but to move faster than sangeetha's hand ;-) [that's what eating taco bell and thinking out of the box does to you!]

- s.b.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home