Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Bedtime Yarns ..

Jr. is in the habit of listening to bed time stories now. No going to bed without a bed time story. The same story wont do everyday. So I have to get creative.

Stories which are wild and imaginative, or stories which involve real people including me and her in fantastic situations are appreciated more.. I am learning as time goes by.

Granted I am no JK Rowling, but her favorite story is Zebu and Chimpu.. one of those yarns I came up with two weeks ago..

Here is the unabridged version. (finally all those years of reading Champak as a kid are paying off !!)

Zebu and Chimpu





Once upon a time, there was a savannah. A savannah is a large field full of yellow, brown and green grass..there lived in the grass a baby zebra called Zebu. His best friend was a baby monkey called Chimpu. They both loved to play together.. One day Zebu asked Chimpu to race him. So Chimpu sat on Zebu's back when Zebu was going really fast "tic tic tic tic... "..
Zebu : " you are not racing me chimpu.. you are just sitting on my back!!".
Chimpu :"can you climb a tree with me ?"
Zebu : no. How can I climb a tree.. I dont have hands and a tail like you.. how can I climb a tree ?
Chimpu : I dont have long legs and muscles like you either.. so how can I race you ?
Zebu realized his mistake and said "Sorry chimpu. I realize we are different. From now on I wont ask you to race me.. lets play something else." They played for some time and then got bored.. Chimpu asked Zebu what he wanted to do next..

I am hungry. I feel like eating some "desert apples" said Zebu.

"Desert Apples huh ? but the desert is 3 miles away !!" said chimpu.
Dont worry, hop on my back and I will race to the desert ! said Zebu and they went "clickty click, clickty click.... " and in a jiffy they were at the desert. But the desert apple tree was tall and the apples were way up in the tree..

How will I ever reach those apples cried Zebu. "Dont worry. I will get them. Climbing trees is what we monkeys do best" said Chimpu and using his long hands and legs and his big tail he went up very fast and threw 10 apples down to Zebu.

By the time Chimpu got down, Zebu had already finished all the 10 apples. Chimpu said " It is getting dark, we have to go home soon.. lets go back " and hopped on to Zebu's back. But guess what Zebu said ?

No Chimpu. I cannot run now because my poppai (stomach) is full !! I can only run after I go potty !
Chimpu : Then why did you eat the apples you silly goose ? we could have put them in a bag , ran back home and then had the apples ?
Zebu : I am very sorry Chimpu. I was really hungry, so I ate the apples without thinking about the Potty !
Chimpu : Okay then, run as fast as you can.. If you have to go, you have to go and we will stop and find a restroom on the way at some Mcdonalds or Burger King !
Zebu said "Okay, hop on my back! I will do my best ".. and off they went clickety click. clickety click..
They had gone halfway when Zebu suddenly shouted "Urgent, Urgent. I have to go potty, RIGHT NOW!!" (just like you know who !!)
Chimpu said, "okay, I will get down.. you see that restaurant there ? Go in and go potty".
So Zebu walks into the restaurant and everyone is surprised. What is a zebra doing in a restaurant ? Zebu said "Sorry, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, I have to go urgent potty !!". A little girl said "Why are you standing there, silly !! We are eating here.. run to the restroom in the back !!" So Zebu went to the restroom, did potty, wipey wipey and then came out.. He looked fresh and he told Chimpu

NOW we can go back home real soon. Hop on my back again !!

Did you wash your hands ? said Chimpu!! "Oh no !! I forgot " said Zebu and he ran back in to wash his hands.. "NOW , we can go!!" said Chimpu and hopped on Zebu's back.

They raced home and as soon as they went back to the savannah, Zebus mommy and daddy were there at the door.. They were very mad at Zebu. Why did you go to the desert without telling us ? they asked. Zebu said " I am sorry mommy and daddy. I was bored just playing with Chimpu here all day and I was also hungry". Just then Chimpu's mommy and daddy came and they were also very mad with him. "Chimpu, you little rascal, there are snakes in the desert. What if they had bit you. We would have to take you to the doctor and give you a Oosi (injection) !!. Is that what you want ?"

"No.. I am sorry mommy" said Chimpu.. I was bored too..

Then the daddys and mommys talked to each other and looked at Chimpu and Zebu :

From tomorrow, both of you are going to go to Montessori school. You will make a lot of friends with girls like "you know who" and you will not be bored again"..

So, Chimpu and Zebu said "Thank you so much" to their mommy and daddy and they lived happily ever after !!

THE END !!

6 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

So sweet. Now I dont have to go look for a story to tell my daughter especially now that I am introducing her to a potty and all! :) You really came up with that sory, btw? And I mean it honestly as a compliment, Sundar!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:23 PM, Blogger Ram C wrote...

interesting story... I haven't done so much of creativity work, for my son. nowadays, he is reading on his own...

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:22 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

boo, ram c. thanks. i did come up with the whole thing..


:)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 3:51 PM, Blogger Balaji S Rajan wrote...

I hope you can publish books. Do you have any own stories. I keep one or two in stock on my own, to give some new kind of variation in the stories.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:22 AM, Blogger Priya Arun wrote...

That's like the most cutest story ever! :-)

P.S: I forgot how I came to this blog!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:44 AM, Blogger Balaji & Geetha wrote...

Very good story! Creative! Written well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home