Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Blogging should be easier !!

When I first started blogging it was a slow process. I signed up in Jan of 2005. But didnt really figure out how blogging worked. I wondered who would actually know about a little html page which in plain and simple 10 point Ariel font said

"Hi"

Then Balaji told me about his blog and how the thing is purely "word of mouth" publicity and this is the same things as the homepages we used to maintain as graduate students.

Then I slowly started exploring the other tabs on blogger, instead of being restricted to the Posting tab ! Then the exasperation started. Having leant HTML as soon as it became public domain (1993) and having graduated slowly to HTML3, my web authoring skills were impressive till about 1995-1996 and I had one of the few fancy homepages in my Department at College. Still remember those NCSA telnet days and the birth of Netscape, Yahoo, Hotbot, Lycos just to name a few.

Then came "Javascript".. my nemesis. Gone were those easy days of just adding a few tags and changing things on different frames ! You had to learn coding now to keep on par with those other fancy web authors.. That was probably the single event that made me close that page and contend myself to be just another happy surfer !

I still tried to keep pace once in a while, trying to add scripts to have things scroll at the bottom bar or have windows pop up with a userid and password. But it was too taxing for me. I didnt want to go back to school, just to fancy up my webpage.

Now I am back to square one.. except my copy paste skills have improved significantly and I am more determined to give this blog a nicer look and feel. This, especially after I saw Praveen's page with the collapsible menus !! I have been trying to figure out how to do this for a few days and then I got a windfall. Nikhil Raghuram, my friends son, showed up at home one day and he showed me how to do this in three simple steps..

So, now this blog is a work in progress !! If you noticed, the "My cooking" link in the sidebar is now a collapsible menu. I have also been designing my own link buttons for the categories.. here are some of them..


Note that the O's are actually a plate of noodles cooked by yours truly !!



Now I have to work on getting these in the page.. Since I am limited to an hour or so of blogging every day, I will focus on improving the template this week.. The posting and commenting will have to take a backseat for now..Stay tuned !!

7 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:42 PM, Blogger Kaps wrote...

Has your home minister given only 1 hour time for blogging everyday or is this a self imposed rule?

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:20 PM, Blogger Jagan wrote...

I like the my cooking link button :) .

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:50 PM, Blogger Anand wrote...

Cool.. waiting to see a ravishing new blog :) kalakunga...

nice pictures... and a nice story about your html skills..:)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:45 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

Looking fwd to the new template. Neenga ella velaiyum pannunga after that I will do a copy, paste :) My template desperately needs to be sorted out :D

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 1:12 AM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

kaps, both.. usually get an hour or hour and a half between 7 and 11 in the evening.. that is it.

today it has been 4 hours.. both the wife and mother in law were impressed by the button effort..

jagan, prabhu thanks.

wa, avvalavu easya irundha naan eppavo praveen templatea copy adichchiruppene !! niraya velai panna vendi irukku.. panni mudichchuttu oru kutty tutorial blog podaren..

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:44 AM, Blogger Visithra wrote...

oh yes do tell how to do a collapse on the side bar thing - my list bloggers keeps growing and growing

btw the buttons look nice

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:22 AM, Blogger Balaji wrote...

good work sundar! the collapsible lists work grt. waiting for the tutorial :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home