Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Older and Wiser ?

Went to the Toyota service center to fix a problem with the hatch door. Had a rude shock when the Girl at the counter(probably 20-22 years old) said

"It will be 120 dollars to diagnose the problem and then fixing will have separate charges".
Me : It is just a little door opener like the ones in the patio in my house. Why dont you just replace it ?
Girl : But what if it is just some sub component which can be changed for 3-4$ ?
Me : It is still going to cost me 120$ and an extra 3-4 $?
Girl : You are right. Let me see what I can do ..
Me : Isnt this covered under warranty ? please help me. give me a discount if there is one.
Girl : We normally dont do this. Okay, here is what I will do. The part is free because of warranty. The extra stuff we will do and I will subtract the 120$ towards the work we do! Anything to make you customers happy! (and she kind of smiled - it was not a condescending smile or a giggly smile.. just an all knowing smile)
Me : Fine, do it.

While she is filling out the paperwork, I get curious..

Me: Normally you guys dont do this type of thing. How come you are doing this ?
Girl : Actually you remind me of my dad !!!!! That is why I talked to the manager and got this for you !
Me: Do I look like your dad ?
Girl : (big laugh, her co-worker on the next terminal also starts laughing) NO! you talk like him !

For a second I was in shock. I am in my mid-thirties and I am already reminding a 20 year old girl of her Dad !! Do I really look that old ? Granted the only exercise I get is when my fingers type on a keyboard and I have long gotten used to my belly and the receeding hairline or the grey hairs ! But still ??

I was kind of relieved that it was my bargaining attempt that reminded the girl of her dad ! There is no shame in bargaining. I am not just getting older, I should be getting wiser too...

5 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:44 AM, Blogger Ponnarasi Kothandaraman wrote...

Hi,
1st time here :) Nice post.. It was well written :)
Nice blog 2...

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:22 AM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

I was calling you a Director Dad ! Now you are a Toyota Dad !! I had a girl in my team a couple of years earlier. She was younger to me by 6-7 years i guess. But the thought process and the thinking were so different, that many a times i just couldnt connect to her. The 'Generation Gap' was wide !!!

Here you are, with a 20 something calling you a wise man !! Smile Sundar ! Smile !

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:30 PM, Blogger Narayanan Venkitu wrote...

Sundar

Which dealership is this? Let me know..I'll go and check if she tells me...you talk like my Grand father.!!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:50 AM, Blogger Visithra wrote...

hehehe awww old man sundar hehehe ;p ops escape

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:42 AM, Blogger tt_giant wrote...

LOL! I think age certainly makes us wiser!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home