Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Me vs. Nick Jr. (could be Disney next !)

During our recent India trip, my mother-in-law got my daughter 4 small sleeveless T-shirts. Two of them had "Spongebob Squarepants" on them. How a cartoon character popular in the US, landed on a 4 for 100 Rupees (2 bucks) type T-shirt is beyond me.

What added to my woes was that I did not know who spongebob was. I am a busy parent who has not had the time to watch all of Cartoon Network's offerings to the modern child. How my daughter learnt about this character or what it means to her, I do not know, but I am in the process of finding out..

As soon as my almost three year old daughter saw these T-shirts she refuses to wear anything but these two T-shirts with "spongebob squarepants" in it. It is really funny the way she says it, real fast. It has been the only thing she wore for most of the last two weeks.



We are washing them non stop to keep one clean T-shirt at all times. If by chance, both are wet, we are in for trouble. She would rather stay topless till the damn thing comes out of the dryer, than wear something else.

Today, her daycare teacher noticed this. Maybe she thought we are too broke to afford more sets of clothing..

We have a request for grandma to bring any piece of clothing found in the platform stores of mumbai which has SBSP in it . We are at this state, in spite of not deliberately exposing our kid to the Disney advertising machine ! Imagine what will happens when she grows older and is exposed to corporate marketing ?!?

Ps. I did edit this post which originally said SBSP was Disney character. Thanks to Balaji for pointing out that he is a Nickelodeon character!. Goes to show how much I know my cartoons.

4 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 1:35 PM, Blogger Balaji wrote...

SBSP is nickelodeon and not disney right?

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 2:38 PM, Blogger mitr_bayarea wrote...

Sundar-SpongeBob Square Pants is aired on Nickelodeon and i have watched it a few times with my 14 year old cousin.

SPSB is optimistic, square and naive and lives in the undersea town of Bikini Bottom and his best friend is Patrick, the pink starfish.

The highlight of ths show is that Patrick and SBSP are best friends and Patrick always comes up with some crazy idea that SBSP performs. SBSP always lives in imagination and its funny to watch him and Patrick in action.

I bet you are going to have to sit down and start watching SBSP.

Other characters in the show are Squidward- an irritating neighbour and squirrel Sandy.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:31 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

balaji, thanks for pointing out the source.

mitr, i dont have nickelodeon. we predominantly watch Sun TV. That is why i was surprised that my daughter even knew about SBSP. How could she possibly know ???

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:52 PM, Blogger carkar wrote...

sundar,
our parents would have asked themselves the same question many times..."how did they possibly know all these things" :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home