Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Friday, May 05, 2006

Calling me names..

Jr. comes back from school and insists on having a little re-enactment of school proceedings at home. This is her way of sharing her day with us.

This brings back so many memories. As a kid I never got to go for Kindergarten. There was no school near my home and the only school started at First grade. So my parents took me to this school. I was four years old. Anyways, the story(as told by my mom around 1,540,876 times to date) is that the principal asked me for my favorite color and I said "Indigo".. At this point she was pleasantly surprised and asked me what colors I know and instead of reeling out the conventional blue or red, I told her the VIBGYOR colors of the Rainbow.

If I had done the same thing in the United States, they would have probably decided that I was precociously "gay" and thrown me in some special school for gay and lesbians. But, it happened in the seventies in South India and I really lucked out going to one of the best schools in the country (and it so happens that I am not gay, just a guy who likes Rainbows!!). The downside ? The principal decided that, while I wasnt physically mature enough to open my pant buttons by myself to go pee, I was smart enough to enter first grade at the age of four. That decision has cost me all my life !! But the story is not about that... so moving on..

By the time my brother was ready to go to school two years later, they had started Kindergarten (LKG and UKG). But there was a shortage of kids in UKG and so the poor guy was promoted to UKG when he should have been in LKG. I still envied him then because he was taught nursery rhymes, had play time etc., and he would come home and teach us a little class before bedtime. He was the teacher, dad and myself were students and sometimes mom was the student and sometimes she was "Hamsa Aaaya", the helper lady who helped the kids with anything from injuries on the playground to going pee-pee!!

Jr. does the exact same thing thirty something years later. She sits on a chair, makes us do "circle time", makes us raise our hands when our names are called, gives us punishment, and insists on calling us with names of her fellow students at school.
Of course we have to call her Miss "xyz" or Miss "abc" since she is the teacher !!

Recently, I was promoted to assitant teacher at home. Guess what she said ?

She looked at my wife and mother in law and said "boys and girls, from now on you have to listen to him just like you listen to me. From now on you have to listen to
Miss Daddy !!!!"

2 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:00 AM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

aaaaw thats so sweet, miss daddy :) Its certainly made me smile

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:09 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

WA, thanks..

I am honored to be Miss daddy..

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home