Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Tears when you need them

Have been on the phone with relatives and friends for the last 24 hours. For some strange reason, have not been able to cry.

It is like this great body of tears has all welled up somewhere and there is something that is stopping the dam from bursting out. San has cried and gotten better, Jr. who heard grandma cry over the phone, cried in turn, threw up by psyching herself and the little one did her thing as well.

For some strange reason, tears evade me. There is a lot of guilt, for making my bed here in the USA, a far away land, knowing that it would not be possible to go make it to India in times like these, within a time frame that would make any sense.

There is a rich culture and an elaborate grieving process that actually helps the people left behind, of which I am not a part of, right now. That with the guilt for having no one else to blame for this situation but myself, is not helping.

So, in an attempt to justify my internal logic, I am living in some kind of delusional world where on the one hand the death of the grandfather who epitomizes the word "love" for me is conflicting with thoughts like "I could have been living in Bombay instead of California and there could be a flood there or an airline strike there and it would be the same situation..." etc. etc.

The hamster inside the head is running at 400 GHz, quite aimlessly for it knows not how to get all those well intentioned emotions out.

My mom called me and broke down today over the phone. Somehow, news reached her that I was in an accident on thursday morning and escaped near death. As a family have had more reasons to be together than ever before, this year.

We for our part did not tell her about the accident because we did not want them to worry. They for their part did not want to tell us that Grandpa was admitted to the hospital and was in critical condition, because they didn't want us to worry. When I told my mom that maybe if she had given me a hint two days earlier, there would have been a plane ticket, she told me she knew about my accident and how I did not tell her. That sealed my lips.

Now we have sealed tear ducts and sealed lips. My school teacher mom promptly reminded me of

Home They Brought Her Warrior Dead
by Alfred Lord Tennyson

(a poem that is not easily forgotten)

Home they brought her warrior dead:
She nor swooned, nor uttered cry:
All her maidens, watching, said,
'She must weep or she will die.'

Then they praised him, soft and low,
Called him worthy to be loved,
Truest friend and noblest foe;
Yet she neither spoke nor moved.

Stole a maiden from her place,
Lightly to the warrior stepped,
Took the face-cloth from the face;
Yet she neither moved nor wept.

Rose a nurse of ninety years,
Set his child upon her knee--
Like summer tempest came her tears--
'Sweet my child, I live for thee.'

Somehow, someone needs to slap me or say or do something that will get all this stuff inside to come out.

Maybe it is fear of losing my composure in front of Jr. and the little one that is making me do this?, don't know.

Till that happens, going to walk around with a blank stare.

God knows I miss him. Thought putting this in words might help. Still doesn't.



ps. We were at Tamizh school this morning and as I waited in the car for San to drop off Jr. in class and be back, saw a grandpa carrying a little on on his hips and hold his version of Jr. by the other hand and it reminded me of my grandpa doing the same thing with me and my brother. Almost started crying and San came back with the Little one and I stopped. Sure that emotional dam will burst. Just hoping it is sooner than later!

The little one is truly blessed. She can cry on demand and get tears instantaneously for no reason.


.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:20 AM, Blogger dipali wrote...

This moved me to tears, Sundar. And I know how hard it is to be far away at such a time.
I pray the healing tears come soon to you. Take care. And what is all this accident business?

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 4:11 AM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

What do i say. I can feel a distinct sense of loss sitting here in Mumbai ! i can only imagine your 'plight'

Whatever it is, it is moments like these that teach us to embrace the responsibility that surrounds our choice sets.

I am so relieved that the accident left you intact. When the problems visit, they do in battalions.

I pray for strength and peace in a moment of 400 Ghz hamster in the head.

Our prayers are there with you and all in the family

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:00 AM, Anonymous yaadayaada wrote...

My thatha passed away 8 years back! Was very close to him. Got a call at midnight when he passed. Till now no tears. Even though I cry at the drop of a hat for nothing. The long distance can do that to you! But no tears doesn't mean you are grieving! So hang in there!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

De-lurking..
I am very sorry for your loss. This post brought tears to my eyes. Sometimes so many things happen to you at the same time that you become numb with pain and sadness, tears don't flow easily, it does not mean you are not grieving.
I am really glad that you were unhurt from the accident, during such times I feel there is someone looking out for you.
I hope and pray that things are smooth for you and your family here on.
AI

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:56 AM, Blogger Revathi wrote...

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your Grand pa. Reading your post brought back memories of my Grandpa whom I was so close to passed away 2 years ago.

I have made a living here with my family and was in the same dilemma not knowing what to do go there be here. But one thing I know for sure my Grandpa would never want me to leave my family behind and make it to his last rites. Thanks to my cousin I was able to view the entire process through webcam and calmed myself.

May his soul rest in peace.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 1:27 PM, Blogger Kavitha wrote...

Tears are not the only tool to show your emotions. You're of course pouring them out with words here aren't you? But if you feel you need tears, you'll get them. Do not worry. Pray and be strong.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 4:45 PM, Blogger Sivajini S wrote...

My prayers for you to find peace/tears whatever it is that you want.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:50 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

A big thanks to all of you for your emotional support at a time we needed it the most.

thanks for your prayers. they are being answered.

2009 is just days away from ending and I am finally on the "life goes on" bandwagon.

from the bottom of my heart, thanks again

sundar

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:07 PM, Blogger krishna wrote...

My heart felt condolences to you and all in the family

 

Post a Comment

<< Home