Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Just another Cricket post ...

Have been reading all the furor over the recent India-Bangladesh match where India lost to Bangladesh (India are strong favorites and Bangladesh were typically being reffered to as Minnows in the media !). There is similar if not worse reaction to Pakistan losing to Ireland and exiting the Cricket world cup!

Mostly the blog world is polarized about the mob mentality of the Indian Cricket fan and how the ardent fan is justifiably pissed at the performance of his / her Cricket hero ! Most of it is in reaction to how a mob stormed into one of the cricketers home and destroyed property, etc.,

A sample is here.. here..and now that the Pakistan cricket coach's death has been declared "suspicious", we are going to see a lot more posts on losing and winning games when you have a huge fan base in the billions!

A message to my cricket loving brethren :

CHILL OUT !!!

It is a sport. Someone wins, someone loses, sometimes someone makes some money, sometimes someone loses money, they all become part of the statistic and pretty soon it is all forgotten and one goes about buying ones favorite brand of shaving razor or tea bag or insurance policy. Yeah, that same favorite which is common between you and your Cricketer idol!

Just think of how you would have watched the game were it advertised a little differently as a SUN TV movie.. (now pardon the Tamlish! and imagine the below words with a strong Tamizh accent)

Indhiya tholaikatchigalil mudhal murayaaga
thiraikku vandhu sila mani nerangale aana
Satchin, sEvAg, DhOni, Mandira matrum palar nadiththa
Indiava Bangladesha pOtti

Kaana thavaraadheergal !

I am sure it would be a laugh fest at that point..

I am still waiting for the Indian team to make it to the final 8 for a personal reason. I get to watch the matches only if they make it to the final 8 or else I forfeit the right to order the games on Dish Network (My bet with my home bookie a.k.a. wife!).

Considering the 250 Crore rupees loss mentioned in a few blogs ($ 50 Million) in advertising revenue, ticket sales etc. being projected, they must be playing like they have a fire under their youknowwhats, but I hope the match does not get fixed for ticket sales. I would rather see those cricket heroes do their absolute best and win it with their talent and teamwork!

Good luck to team India!

On a personal note to my dad : You are probably right. Most matches are rigged and I am still stupid enough to succumb to cricket fever! I always feel like that dude who watches the action replay and says "I hope he hits the ball at least this time"!!


.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:49 AM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

The average Indian fan isnt going to heed your advice and chill out ! Thats my bet.

There are a 11 odd players aiming at three stumps in the middle. But then, thats having the whole world bowled over. Atleast, these days one needs to stay abreast to stay connected in office conversation.

Every body including the office boy is talking about why Sehwag is to be dropped. Little do they realise that some of them are all set to be dropped.

And i would agree with your father ! Everything depends on the odds. Evidence lies in your own home !

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:39 PM, Blogger Balaji wrote...

hmmm... so u get to order the games on Dish if india gets to the final 8? good to know :)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:07 PM, Blogger Karthik S wrote...

Sundar,
I would be glad if India lost big time. It's time the gullible Indian public stops revering Cricket as a religion and cricketers as God. But I will not blame their reaction at all for it is the media and BCCI and the players themselves who elevated themselves to that status. When you are a God you better grant all the requested boons else your statue will be broken :-0) Why blame the poor devotees...

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:50 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

kavi, karthik

no point blaming the public or mob.

I dont intend to stir a hornets nest, but I see this along the same lines as what happened to Jayendra Saraswati !!

karthiks comment fits that quite literally and we all know what happened to Jayendrar !

:)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:19 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

Just to clarify, mob by definition is a mob! There is no collective reasoning in a mob!

If you rely on a mob for anything then you are relying on something that doesnt subscribe to logic!

:)

fyi, here is a link that a friend sent me :

http://worldcup.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1789058.cms

interesting, isnt it ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home