Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Friday, February 02, 2007

Enjoying India.. especially Singaara Chennai..

Looks like the previous post on Jr.'s little autorickshaw adventure, is getting some flame..

I had posted this in September 2006!! So, all too familiar with pedophilia in US of A, that too right in our backyard !

I wasn't trying to make a spin (positive or negative) of the whole experience. I was trying to caution careless dad's like me, who let go of their kid's hands in the street while bargaining for auto's. If I had to write a post on why we bargain for autos from 120 rupees down to 70 to go from Adyar to Mambalam, it would be too long a post, and it would definitely start a comment war or sorts, so I am not going to do that..

The mistake of letting her hand go was mine and I did own up to it ! The reason for cautioning other dads was,

1. do not let your kids go out of reach, period!
2. or at least teach them a local phone number! My daughter knows her address, my cell phone number and where mom, dad work, etc. etc.. She could even direct you to our house by saying "go right, go left..etc" if she was in the local area. But in Chennai, those dont help. We have to teach her the local phone number and address here, just to be safe !

Hope that clarifies things...

As for enjoying India, we are all very much enjoying India.. We invariably always do.. We come here knowing about the mosquitos, the pollution, the autorickshaws, etc. etc. These are small things which we get used to within the first 24 hours of our stay here. After all, I was born and raised in this city and every street, every street corner brings back a flood of memories ! How could you not enjoy it ? The only reason for quoting the Delhi child abuse, was that after Jr.'s adventure, everyone around me (relatives and friends who live here) quoted it and said "things are not the same here anymore..so be careful"..

Getting adjusted to these things is easy. It takes me more time to get adjusted to "raagu kaalam", "yama kandam", "kari naal", etc. etc. in my house. This morning I was about to step out for a haircut and almost started world war III. Apparently haircut on friday's is bad for your mom's longevity, and considering the main reason for this trip was to speed up mom's post surgery recovery by showing her the grandkids, everyone cried "Sacrilege!". In the interest of helping other dads, I have taken the liberty of compiling this list..

Day Bad for


Friday : mom
Thursday : dad
Wednesday : brother
Monday : Sister
Tuesday : First cousins second cousins aunty
Sunday : First cousins second auntys dog (or cat)
Saturday : Safe day !!

(ps. except for the friday part, I made up the rest..I am sure they are bad for someone or other!)

So, that said, all are happy and enjoying our last week here.. Today, we were stuck in traffic in Doraiswamy road. Reason ? a dead body procession at peak traffic time! Jr. couldn't understand the concept. I have videotaped the traffic congestion caused by this procession and the procession itself, including the guys dancing in front of the body! Will add it to the long videoblog that is in the works..

India is India. You can't beat this experience..

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Incredible India !

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

//120 rupees down to 70 to go from Adyar to Mambalam//

Is that a big difference b/w $3 and $2 as auto fare ?

Can't you let the autodriver be happy for he could have an extrameal for that 50 INR ?
Well its your money , your attitude..God bless you.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:06 PM, Blogger Narayanan Venkitu wrote...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:04 AM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

internet is at a premium for me here in chennai (time wise) compared to mumbai.. which is why my blogging has become limited.

but this calls for a comment..

inspite of my saying I wouldnt start on the autorickshaw some anon has commented on it..

grow up anon!!

first, have the balls to put your name on the comment.

two, why should I give 120 rupees just because I live in the US ? why doesnt everyone here pay 120 rupees ? stop this bullshit bigotry that people in the US can just afford to throw money at anything and everything !! if you have a family and you earn, spend and save in any country, you will know the value of a unit of currency, be it in rupees or dollars.. for 50 INR, I will gladly order an extra dosa at saravana bhavan here !! there is nothing wrong with my attitude. just yours !! I wait for mondays in the US to fill gas because gas prices drop 20 cents a gallon between sunday night and monday.. next time have the balls to drop your name and I will explain the big difference between $3 and $2. and

ps. next time you are in India, please let me inform your local stand of his/her highnesses arrival in India. They will be more than willing to take your money !

and pps. God bless you too !!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:38 PM, Blogger Sriram wrote...

Anon, relax!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home