Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Monday, October 16, 2006

Who do you listen to ?

Before I respond to "poor girl", let me set the record straight on a couple of issues.

1. I am indeed surprised by this form of Astrology as I am naturally inquisitive.
2. My curiosity should not be confused with acceptance of this method or its results
3. I do not endorse this Astrology or act as a spokesperson for the "Naadi Josiyar's Association", if such a thing exists.
4. I still do not know how this works. So the curiosity is still there..
5. I am not old enough or wise enough to give advice (especially marital advice)

Dear Poor Girl, (in what way you are poor, I do not know!)

I have had two experiences with Astrology/ advice in general which stand out in all my brushes with the topic.

1. When I was a freshman in college, I could not handle the hazing. So I wanted to write the IIT JEE again, get a better rank and try to get into IIT Madras. Everyone I knew was against it. They told me not to waste a year. But I was adamant and came back to Madras to study. At the time, I was taken to every Tom, Dick and Starry to get my future predicted. Everyone of these so called Astrolgers told my parents that I have a bright future and they should really not worry about this and just let me waste that year. So I was taken to see the Kanchi Swamigal. The old saint was in his nineties I think. Could hardly see, hardly hear. We made the trip to Kanchipuram and were lined up against a chicken wire fence. His Holiness was sitting 10 feet away. One of his assistants came by and asked my dad what the problem was, went and whispered something in the old man's ear and came back with the response. "he said, ask your son to stay here and study in a local college". My parents couldnt handle it. On our way back, they kept insisting that the Saint was old, he couldnt hear, it was the fault of the guy who went back and forth between my dad and the Holy man.. etc. etc.

Finally, I decided to go back to college and not waste that year, but it was because I spoke to a brilliant psychoanalyst by the name of Dr. Sivaprakasam.

2. My mother has a broken knee. Her knee has to be replaced with an artifical knee or she will not be able to walk. The doctor told her to go consult an astrologer to fix an "auspicious day" for the surgery!! The astrologer tells her that she should wait past Diwali or the surgery might not end up well!! As far as my mom goes, an astrologer trumps a doctor! After repeated pleading, my mother is still waiting for Diwali to come and go this weekend before she will go into surgery. I am worried, but I think she has the right to believe what she wants. As long as she doesn't ask me to postpone my surgery some day, it is fine by me!

So, what I am trying to say is, it is all upto you.. At the end of the day, you alone are responsible for your actions. None of these astrologers are going to stand by you.. not if you and your love lead a happy life.. not if you and your love fall into misery..

Good luck with your life!!

7 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 2:30 AM, Blogger Shruti wrote...

hi sunder,
i have a second veiw for this...
astrology do make sense in our life, sometimes its our destiny which changes many things at an instant...
at the end..all depends on individual how they look into this..
anyways..
wish you a very happy diwali...

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:31 AM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

Wow Sundar ! Particularly liked the last lines

"None of these astrologers are going to stand by you.. not if you and your love lead a happy life.. not if you and your love fall into misery..

Good luck with your life!!"

I am reminded of a short story by RK Narayan's "An Astrologer's Day". You must read it, if you havent ! Gives a good perspective !

Astrologers rule many a life. They decide when things will get done. Who will marry whom. Who will not. And these days, at what time children are to be given birth to !

Your post raises a case in point ! At the end of thd day, as you say, the responsibility is not with the astrologer !

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:09 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

shruti, looks like we agree on this..astrology plays a role in our life.. even if I dont follow it, if all the people around me follow it, I am affected. my first trip to india.. I go home, open my suitcase and take out a box of cookies.. my dad says dont give it to me.. wait for anohter 20 minutes. he spoilt the moment for me just by saying that !! I was so upset that I throw the box out of the window!

kavi, will go find that book over the weekend.. i am sure I have read it but my memory is fading. thanks for the pointer..

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:09 PM, Blogger Shruti wrote...

hi dear,
thanx for coming to my blog and for leaving nice thoughts...i hope this time you will surely make ur way to varanasi...and it changed a lot also...

and dont be so angry...everybody has his individual thinking, you should respect it...ur anger will amke the situation worse...

anyways take care and
happy diwali to you and ur family...

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:53 PM, Blogger Balaji S Rajan wrote...

Sundarji,

ASTROLOGY!!! Ha..ha.. it is a laddu topic in our house. I keep telling them and repeat the same here. Have you noticed! Those who have difficulties only approach Astrologers. I have hardly seen people who are prosperous visiting Astrologers. I like the positive sides of it, rather than the negative ones. There is nothing wrong in believing it. But as far as I know, many people plunge deeply into it and get depressed. For example, I knew a friend of mine who was telling me that he is remaining quite doing nothing because the Astrologer had told him, whatever he does will not click for a certain period. This friend of mine, was eating and sleeping blaming the Astrology. On such occasions, I strongly believe it demotivates a person, from attempting anything. Again I knew a very old Astrologer who was proposed by many to see Horoscopes matching. But he had four daughters who were not married even after reaching 30 for want of good matching horoscopes. As you have said none of the Astrologers stand by you if what they predicted does not happen. I take the positive ones, and leave those negative side.

We had been to Kanchi Mutt many times. The following is not to offend anyone. There was a couple before us (some big shot) with their daughter and son. The disciples enquired what was their problem. The couple explained that their daughter was not getting a suitable boy. On hearing this, one of my friend in the queue humourously said " Why ask the saint. He can tell one of us and we can help them..."

Just on the lighter side. We had been many times to religious mutts, especially Kanchi Mutt, to have darshan of the great Saint.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:07 AM, Blogger Anu wrote...

Astrology is someething I think which sometimes gives a direction , but its the matter of faith- if u beleive the person will follow that direction irrespective of any logic:)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:29 AM, Blogger Raju wrote...

tried so hard to wish but some problem with blogger...

Wish you and your family a very happy deepavali (belated)... Have fun this weekend!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home