Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Experiments with self

Now we have 25 sickness free days (an all time record for the month of March especially since this Blog is a living record).

Facebook has not been touched.

Blogger has been visited twice in 20 days.

The average sleeping time has increased from 5 hours per weekday to 7 hours per weekday.

There has been at least one fruit included in the daily diet. No coffee for the last 25 days. Maximum one glass of tea per day (1/2 cup in morning and evening.. sometimes switched to Horlicks). Fried stuff has been knocked down to a minimum in the daily diet.

There has been at least one shower a day (yes.. shocking as it may seem there was no time for showers or shave on some hectic days in the past)

Now, there is one other addition.

Bikram Yoga for the last 25 days. We (the MIL and me) have been attending a 90 minute hot yoga class every morning from 5:30 to 7:00 for 25 of the last 26 days!

That means we get up at 4:45 and take off. Neither of us were sure if we will continue after the first ten classes but the changes in the body and mind after ten days in the torture chamber were obvious.

People at work who first saw me after 4 days said things like :

Are you wearing makeup? your face is very clear and fair now!
You are very calm instead of your usual trigger happy self. What is going on?
You seem to be very stoic and are quiet in meetings? Are you quitting?
Looking very happy? What is going on? and it was anyone who had not met me in days or weeks.

Had lunch with an old colleague last week (we met after a year) and he said "you somehow look younger this year than last year in-spite of wearing glasses!"

The change was noticeable on the inside as well. There was a feeling of lightness all around, a freshness that hasn't been felt since sitting in that hot spring in Manali last year and a self check mechanism every time the mind was about to launch into an expletive or two be it work related or with the wife and kids at home.

The question that is being asked by some close folks is "Are all these changes because of the Yoga or because of all the other changes like good food, more sleep etc.?"

The answer is definitely "Bikram Yoga". All the other changes and the discipline to make those changes are a direct result of the Yoga class.

Initially there was skepticism about the Hot Hatha Yoga because of what we read on the internet about Bikram Choudhury and the Hot Yoga. For every 10 positive articles there is some gripe about how this is not proven by western medicine etc. etc. After a friend successfully checked this out in Seattle, we went to check out the local studio and see for ourselves.

This is an amazing treat that one can give to ones body and mind.

Have lost 9 lbs in the last 25 days, have a much smoother softer skin. Have had one knee sprain last week (because of overdoing a stretch.. all my doing not the Yoga's) which has since healed by going back into the hot room.

Jr. and the little one cannot stop smelling me. Apparently daddy smells real nice after a shower post Yoga sweating! Even the kids in Tamil school complimented me on how nice Teacher is smelling!

Planning to do this at least 7 times a week from now on. This is the best thing that happened to me since the little one's birth...

A big thanks for this new found happiness goes to the MIL. She joined with me to help her broken ankle mend (while my broken hand builds strength) and even if I felt down on day 2 and 3 and was about to call it a day, she dragged me to class and made sure that I don't quit.

Long live Bikram Choudhury. He has definitely given me a new look at my body, mind and spirit and a second chance at living a contented life.


ps. Do not be intimidated by the fact that you have a big round belly and everyone in the class looks like a cross between Zeus and Urvashi. Just keep trying to do the routine in class and everything else fades away.. including your belly!



.

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:15 PM, Blogger Hawkeye wrote...

please tell san's mom that I am very impressed. i really am. kudos to her. this is by no means an easy task.

welcome to bikram :-) i have gone for about 65 day snow. I lost 5 KGs. But I havent gone for the last 2 weeks so put it back again. I run in the morning for 1 hour and then bikram at night. so strained myself too much. with the world cup and chithappa/chitthi visiting i couldnt go and slacked back to heave eating. After 3 months of no coffee I am back to my bad habits.

next week i will reboot and restart :-)

all the best :-)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:17 PM, Blogger Hawkeye wrote...

and btw - wife banned me from FB now :-) the world cup updates were like my last hurrah. wife changed my passwd and i have to beg her to log me in :-(

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

do we need prior yoga experience ? all ur experiences are making it drool worthy!

~ Krithiga

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

i have attended few yoga classes and sometimes feel that i am doing it wrong and not exactly the way the instructor does, but she hasn't corrected me or shown me right way to do it.so do they teach you / correct u if you do any thing wrong ?

thanks
~krithiga

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

I attended 1 session a long time ago and i had to sit down after 15 mins while all the other super humans around me were doing incredible things! Your post is inspiring, i should try to start this again...

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Vidhya wrote...

LOL..Cross between zeus and urvashi!
We wanted to try bikram esp for the hot temperatures, even though not sweating has its advantages, it does take out the toxins. Your post has given a new inspiration.
So giving up coffee is a requirement? I can, but I dont think my husband will:) I already know what his answer would be.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:07 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

Hawkeye, will let MIL know.

coffee reduction definitely goes with the plan. good luck on the restart. congrats to your wife for cutting you off FB successfully.

:)

Krithiga, they come correct you if you are going to do something that will damage your knee, back etc. otherwise they watch and let go.. at least the only times I have been corrected by the teacher was when I was doing something that was wrong posture wise.

Vidhya, good luck!

:)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:28 PM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

Whoa ! thats cool ! Whatever this is, definitely needs to be looked at !

All this is fine...but blogger being visited twice in twenty days...!?! Could call for reconsideration !

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

post your new picture please we will be the judge :-) So happy for you

Best,
V

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:56 PM, Blogger Sudhar wrote...

Thanx Sundar inspired by you, i too joined the class here in Dubai. First day class over. Its a really tough. Good your MIL has the will to stay and continue considering the age and yourself also.

Please do write how did you manage yourself initial 1-5 classes and when felt, it is started feeling better. Did you able to do all postures during the first few classes ?

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:37 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

Kavi,

there was a mindset change. lot of soul searching in the last 20 days.

some regret that this yoga thing didnt come my way earlier. was even thinking "if only had gotten my mom to this class, she would not have had to go through triple knee surgery in chennai" etc. etc.

now the head has quietened down. Do check blogger / facebook once every night and catch up on everything.

wrote about what Yoga does to ones body today. have to write about what it does to your mind.. going to be difficult to articulate..will try.

V, thanks.

Sudhar, please see latest post.

hope that helps.

:)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:54 AM, Blogger dipali wrote...

Most inspiring, Sundar and MIL. Hats off to both of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home