Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Monday, March 01, 2010

Vinnai thaandi Varuvaayaa - விண்ணைத்தாண்டி வருவாயா

Watched this movie over the weekend in spite of everyone telling us that it is a long and slow movie with two characters talking to each other for the most part of the movie.

The middle aged folks said "should be a great movie for twenty somethings and teens". The teen's we know who saw the movie said "who has this kind of notion of romance these days?". The romantics said "only hopeless romantics will like this movie" and the hopeless romantic in me initially said "maybe this is not my type of movie".

True, the movie was long and drawn out and the last twenty minutes was brilliant and made up for the first two plus hours of slow buildup, but it kind of grows on you. You come home and the imagery stays in your head for a long time.

The "first love is unforgettable" theme is a universal one and will touch a chord with almost anyone, especially if your first love is not your last love. That said, the concept of "getting over a lost love and move on" is equally universal. All those cliches of "better to have loved and lost than never to have loved" and "love happens, you cannot go searching for it" etc. etc. are all rolled into one single movie.

A couple of things were plain revelations in this movie.

First is the acting, especially by Silambarasan and Trisha. Really do not understand all the negativity that surrounds Silambarasan with the blog reviews and comments. If anyone is going to take Kamalahasan's place in the Tamizh film industry another decade from now, it will be Simbu.

He can emote really well, sing, write lyrics, dance hip hop and jazz like nobody's business and definitely has screen presence. He is able to do subdued, as well as he does "over the top".

The dance choreography and the cinematography were simply amazing. Very nicely done. ARR was fantastic, not just with the songs but with the background score as well.

Do not know the exact demographic that will come out and like the movie, but count me in.




.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 4:03 AM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

Is this some kind of a sarcastic post or something like that Sundar ?

Come on !! Kamal's place !

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:01 AM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

Kavi

actually no.. what I was trying to say was "if anyone has the potential to be an all in all azhagaraajan of cinema" this guy is a very good candidate..

am I saying "simbu can do a saagara sangamam".. No.

Can Simbu in 20 years direct, screenwrite, act, dance, etc.. or still be makign movies in 20 years, chances are Yes.

:)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:13 AM, Anonymous A-kay wrote...

I don't consider myself a romantic, leave alone a hopeless one at that - but still something in this movie touched me and sort of stayed with me, as you have mentioned in your post. I never thought a day would come when I would actually watch a Simbu movie in theatre, leave alone like it :)

I am not sure why there is negativity, in my mind it is due to too much self-promotion and his dad - as for me, I hated Simbu right from he acted as a kid singing "I am little star, aaven naan super star" :)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Wild horses couldnt drag me into the theatre to cough up Rs.120 and watch Ilaya TR. Giving this movie the pass coz of and only coz of Simbu. Dont care how good VTV is, if it has Simbu in it...in my dictionary, its a bad movie. But then that's my opinion.........to each his own.
Priya

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:01 AM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

A-Kay, Priya..

Simbu today is a very different Simbu from two years ago.

there is a lot less (hardly any) over acting.

looks like he is not going after being a style based "super star"...

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home