Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Wheat Chips (Cheese Nips) - கோதுமை சிப்ஸ் - Do it yourself Video

My mom used to make delicious sweet or spicy wheat chips when we were kids. It was a treat, especially when we were confined to be indoors during the rainy season!

One of my successful grad student experimental variations was to put small blocks of Amul cheese inside these chips.

The videos explain it all..







You use wheat flour, salt, hing (asafoedita)and chili powder for the spicy version.

Just wheat flour and sugar for the sweet version.

Wait for 40 minutes to an hour for the dough to stabilize before making flats out of them, slicing and frying.

Warning : If you are a newbie at deep frying, make sure the cheese is completely encapsulated by dough and all the air is pressed out.

Think of this as the Indian equivalent of Tortilla chips..

Hope you have fun making Wheat chips (கோதுமை சிப்ஸ்) after watching this video. Guaranteed hit with little kids who love crunchy stuff.




.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:03 AM, Anonymous A-kay wrote...

My god - this website is slowly morphing into a cooking site, not that I am complaining :) Keep 'em coming. Your post on laddu & mixture brought back memories of diwali in my childhood, and it also has inspired me into trying laddu. Will let you know how it turns out.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Vidhya wrote...

Cheese inside is a novel idea. I love the sweet ones.I remember when young, others at home didn't like the sweet ones as much, so i would end up eating all of them!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 5:20 PM, Anonymous A wrote...

will try this soon... my daughter had now become a fan of your food videos... you should believe today she sacrificed dragon tales to watch this video :-) she ordered me to make this coming weekend... my mom used to do the sweet ones with maida flour and we call it as diamond biscuit...

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:22 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

A-kay, do let us know how it turns out..

Vidhya, the sweet one is our favorite too...

cheese is interesting because it somehow accentuates the "kaaram" in the inside of the chip..

A,

:)
little one saw how "dippin dots" are made on a food network show a few minutes ago and says "daddy, make them!"

:)

my mom called it diamond biscuit too!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:23 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

also folks, sorry for the 30 second black out in the video. I just cannot explain it. the original video shows me placing the cheese bits in an array.. the youtube version blacks it out.

I have made two attempts so far.. same issue.. next time will check the videos for issues. this one is seems to be weird!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 4:30 AM, Anonymous anupama wrote...

Looks yum!!! super dad!!!!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 5:50 AM, Anonymous utbtkids wrote...

Do me a favor will ya?! Actually you don't have a choice :)

http://utbtkids.com/2010/02/23/time-for-the-next-poll/

Take the survey on Language Development please :)

I am trying to come up with something regarding the development of home languages in children of today.

All inputs will be very helpful.

Also can you forward it to any one who will be appropriate?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home