Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Theratti Paal (Milk Sweet) - தெரட்டி பால் Do it Yourself

Theratti paal, is very popular as a Deepavali milk sweet and is usually made on a large open vessel (Kadai style) where large quantities of milk are slowly stirred and condensed while simultenously adding sugar and ghee (clarified butter) to make a very small volume of this delicacy!

The recipe shown in this videoblog is a quick cheat way that my pittsburg Manni (SIL) taught me some 15 years ago. If I remember right, the original recipe she refined was from Mallika Badrinath who in my opinion should be given an honorary doctorate or Chef title by graduate students trying to satisfy the longing of their taste buds.





Very simple:

- get sweetened condensed milk (Nestle preferred over local brand names) one 14 oz can

- put in large glass bowl (get pyrex or corning lead free microwaveable glass). Do not do this in plastic. Have seen reports of high fat containing substances microwaved in plastic containers forming carcinogenic dioxins.

- soak some saffron in little water

- add 15-20 drops of lemon juice into condensed milk, stir thoroughly and microwave for 5 minutes under constant supervision. If the whole thing overflows, stir and put back in microwave

- then add 3-4 spoons of Ghee, add saffron, a few sprinkles of powdered cardamom for flavoring, stir vigorously , put back in microwave for 2-3 minutes and make sure you don't burn it.

Hope you enjoy making this sweet.

ps. The microwave time will be ~6-7 minutes total if you use only one can. For two cans it might be 11-12 minutes total.

pps. you have to try this a few times to figure out the final total time for a given microwave power and volume of condensed milk. The condensed milk is $2.19 a can. So you can do a few tries with single cans before graduating to volume production!


Just found that they spell it "thirattu paal" (we call it theratti paal!! go figure..)
.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

you really have a lot of time. good initiative though!!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:11 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

try it, anon.

15 minutes tops to make fresh hot theratti paal.

I have the same time everyone has or less. maybe my burn rate is high and I sleep less than the average person and do this instead of watching TV.

to each his/her own!

:)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

sundar, when i said you have a lot of time, it's not for actually making whatever you make but for the initiative to cook/shoot/blog about it :-)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Hi Sundar!

This is one awesome recipe. I hail from the Chettiar - Nagarathar community. And for our Pillayar Nombu function each year - I worry that I will be assigned a pot luck item like Thirattu Paal which takes FOREVER to make! I think I will volunteer for this recipe next year!!! Haha!!

PM

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Thanks for the recipe. Saffaron soaked in 2 tsps of hot milk yelds a lot of color and flavor and you can use the entire liquid in this sweet or any sweet instead of soaking it in water and then discarding the water.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home