Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Friday, November 06, 2009

Emotions

Have been watching and listening to old vintage music videos recently, thanks to some tube-hopping? on Youtube!

While listening to some DD documentary on GNB, Balamurali Krishna mentioned Salaamat Ali and that took me to this..




part 2 is here..




Thanks to the person who uploaded this. The music is just divine and his "lecture demonstration" in the first video just speaks volume of his mastery over subject matter.

Have seen Salamat Ali perform on Doordarshan when in school and remember it. Never knew there were videos of him performing when he was this young.

Listening to this in the dark with headphones on, simultaneously brings a range of emotions up.. butterflies in my stomach, an intense urge to just go hug that guy and cry, memories of things long lost, questions like "why did you leave me?".. even without necessarily understanding the words or their meanings.

There is so much love and longing in the way he sings it!

If only DD and All India Radio took their old archives and put them on youtube.. that will be heaven!

.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:58 PM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

'if' only they had the spread of the mind to think through what audiences would really want .... TV would be quite different !

I guess

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:17 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

Kavi... well said!

:)

anyone who chances on this comment stream..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0zhD86dUW4

listen to 6:20 to 8:09

imagine what this would sound like if the quality was as good as the original recording and was accessible to all who are interested..

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 1:33 AM, Blogger dipali wrote...

Wonderful piece. I remember Nazakat and Salamat Ali Khan's Pahadi thumri as one of the earliest classical pieces I'd heard. Truly magical voices.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home