Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Monday, December 22, 2008

Happiness is..

The first time I actually participated in any underwear purchasing was sometime in high school.

Till then, it was totally done at the parent's mercy, mostly my dad's. They would guess our sizes and buy us underwear. The sizes would be +/- 10% and if lucky we would grow into it within the year! If not, we will suffer through it till a parent or grandpa figured out that something went horribly wrong and correct the mistake.

Around the time in high school, there was one trip to what was Hari Textiles in Mylapore where an old gentlemen who owned the store engaged us in this three way conversation:

Dad : Sir, payyanukku size 70 jatti oru ara dozen edunga. (Sir, get my boy 1/2 dozen briefs in size 70cm)

OG (older gentlemen) : (Looks up and down, it was more like up at my dads face, down at my waist then up at my dads face again. Scratches his chin with style that would make Dumbledore proud and pronounces his verdict) Payyanukku 75 podunga sir! (make him wear 75 at least)

Dad : Ille Sir, 75 romba loosa irukkum. Neenga 70ye kudunga. (No Sir, 75 will be too loose. Give him only a 70cm)

Me : (my happiness literally hanging in the balance) Why don't you let me try it on and I can tell you if it is comfortable!

Dad and OG seem to look at me with disapproval. That worries me because as agreeing adults, they could suddenly unite and come to a consensus. The fact that there was no 72.5cm option to average out their opinions made me even more wary! What if they settle for 70?! So I put on one puppy look for OG's sake.

OG : Jatti ellam try panna mudiyaadhu thambi. Venumna ippidi vachchu kaataren..(you cannot try on a brief. I can place it on your waist and show you). goes on to place the 70 along my waist!

Doing some instant Pythagoras calculations in my head using my waist size, distance between my navel and my you know whats, with some coefficients of elasticity of common cotton fabric thrown in for good measure, horror of horrors, the thing looked like it could be a close call!

Me : I will go with 75cm!

My Dad looked disappointed, either with me for not taking his side or at OG for having the balls to contradict him in front of his son...

Dad: Sure'aaa da ? (Are you sure?)

Me : Yes. Sure!

Dad : Okay Saar. 1/2 dozen kudungaa (give half a dozen). Make sure you give him only dark colors. He likes dark colors. (For once he was right. In those days, there was a strong liking for dark colors).

My dad would treat buying underwear for me or my brother with the same seriousness as he would buy brinjals and okra in the Mylapore vegetable market. Approximately eyeball quality or quantity, start bargaining, purchase!

Five minutes later, after settling for a 10% discount as repeat customer, we both walked out happy! Dad with the 10% price reduction and me with the 6.66% size addition.


Since that day(to the present), 99% of the brief purchasing has been done at the same Hari Textiles store in Mylapore. One thing has been constant. It has always been the same VIP brand with a simple red tag across the front of the waist band which said "VIP" with the size in cms written on the side.

99% because I did stray from being loyal to HariTex and VIP during a three year continuous stint in the US of A. If you are making a trip every two years or every year in some cases, you can predict sizes and purchase accordingly. Three years on the same size with cheese pizza as your main diet can cause some serious issues. So there was a "brief" fling with Jockeys.

The rest of the purchases, all in 1/2 dozen or dozen quantities have been made at that Chennai Landmark. Well, it should be a Landmark, because that place and that man have single handedly ensured that many TamBram boys have retained some semblance of a sperm count, in spite of their dads doing the undie shopping for them during their most important years!

In short, a whole generation of TamBrams owe their existance to that store and that salesman. Now why do we reminesce about those good old days?

The recent India trip in September, was wrapped up with a last minute trip to Hari Textiles. (it is almost always the last minute wrap up purchase item!)

Now that yours truly has almost transformed into his daddy over the years, the conversation went like this:

Me : Sir oru ara dozen VIP kudunga!(give me a half dozen VIP briefs)

OG : ?!?!

Me : Sorry. Size 90 oru ara dozen kudunga. (Sorry, give me half dozen size 90cms)

OG : ?!?! (does a Dumbledore again)

Me : Enna Sir yosikkareenga ?(what are you thinking?)

OG : Endha kaalaththula Sir neenga size 90? At least 100 venum! (in which eon were you a size 90 ? You need at least a 100 centimeters now!)

Was a little upset that OG put me aside like a little puppy and in a protesting note stated..

Me: Ille saar. Naan ippo 90 dhan podaren (No Sir. I wear a size 90 now) and go on to pull out the VIP tag from behind my belt buckle to show him the "90 cms" written in size 12 Helvetica.

OG : Neenga 90cm potta romba tighta irukkum. Not healthy. Sadaa irritatedaa iruppenga.. (if you wear 90cm it will be too tight. you will be constantly irritated)

Me : (looking at San who is about to split her sides laughing, and also knowing that OG ranks somewhere next to Master Yoda on the inter galactic intelligence scale, somewhere higher than even my all knowing dad!) Neenga sonna sairyaa dhan Saar irukkum. Size 100-e kudunga. (If you say so, it will be right. Give me the size 100.)

Some people never learn, and some people here is just an indirect reference to myself!

After coming back from India, a week or two went by before one of the new 100cms was picked at random from the brief drawer.

That entire morning went by with me walking around work with a noticeable difference in my level of chirpiness! So much that at the lunch table a friend commented "What is up with you? You seem to be very happy and comfortable today!"

The "comfortable" word connected a lot of dots in my head instantly. It was noticeably obvious. The secret to the local happiness was found. It was the luxury of 10 extra centimeters of elastic around the waist and Pythagoras working his mathemagic away from the hypotenuse.

Happiness was,is and will be, wearing the right size underwear!!


.

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

OMG Sundar, I just cannot stop laughing!!! This was way tooooooo hilarious.......there are tears in my eyes.....sirichu sirichu vayaru valikkaradhu!!!!

Cheers,
Deepa

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 3:21 AM, Blogger Sriram wrote...

LOL...too good!

Were you referring to Hari agencies in Mylapore? It is the shop on the first floor of a building near the junction of RK Mutt Road and Kutchery Road?

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:10 AM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

LOL .... I have got to agree with you .... for women also ... hehehehe

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:50 AM, Blogger Me wrote...

LOL!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:06 AM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

Kodu potta road poduramathiri..! Jattiyavachhu oru super elastic post pottachu !

Had me in splits. I used to frequent a place in Madurai. I think it was called Amarnath or something like that on Amman Sannidhi !

And yes. He the salesmen used to have such accurate calculations of your anatomy that Pythagoras would have had to take lessons from these chaps. And archimedes would have run to them, straight from his bathtub !

Lovely !

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

ROFL

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 1:09 PM, Blogger Balaji S Rajan wrote...

Sundar,

Your UW reminds me of a joke. I took few of my colleagues who had come from India for a walk. One of them said "Ladies..here dress standard way. A white shirt and black panties".

I was shocked and looked around to see a girl who was wearing a white shirt and black trousers. We asked him what he meant. He pointed at the girl and said "Look at her "

We asked him how he knew the colour of the panties and he was asking us back what we call for that dress... (Trousers!) Fortunately for him there was no girl with us. When we told him what he meant he started laughing and did not mean anything. He did not know the right word and thought since men wear pant (It is called as trousers here in UK.. Pant means underwear anyhow)he thought ladies trousers are called as panties. We thanked god that he did not continue living with the wrong word. Imagine he had gone to some women colleagues... and asked questions like

"Your panties suits you" or "I am seeing most of the times you wear black panties even on a friday.." and like that.

Even today when we meet together we laugh talking about this incident.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:37 PM, Blogger dipali wrote...

This was hilarious, Sundar.
Think of women buying undergarments with such experts sizing up their assets- the mind boggles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home