Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Tantrums 101

Had promised a video of combo #1 earlier..(a special tantrum thrown by baby at random).

This is not that video. This is combo #2.

Let me explain.

The little one did not cooperate with Mommy during her nail cutting attempts.

She(the little one), was smart enough to follow mommy, find out the secret hiding place where the nailclipper was kept, and got them, just as mommy went on to do other things over a busy weekend.

Feeling something along the lines of the crow that stole the Vadai from the old grandma (TOYWAP, this is from the Tamizh equivalent to Aesop's fables!), she was perched on the couch attempting to cut her own knees, fingers, feet or anything that was close enough to her nails, when she spotted "Secret Video Daddy"!

SVD, feeling the same thing a National geographic photographer feels when he is about to videotape a poor Gazelle just when it is being ambushed by a lioness, was in two minds. Do I continue the video? or do I stop and go pull those clippers out of her hands before she injures herself! SVD decided to do both, at the cost of the video not being secret anymore and the possibility of incurring mommy's wrath on being irresponsible and proving it to the world on video! He kept rolling the tape and tried to use

1. sweet talk
2. scolding
3. threats

and when all failed, resorted to calling in the marines, a.k.a. Jr., who has a strange hold on her little sister. Sometimes, Jr. is able to get things out of the little one's hands when the adults have failed. Last week she got daddy's tea glass from the baby, just when she was going to drop it on the concrete in the backyard, looked at the adults and said "see, that was easy. all you have to do is ask nicely!". If you read carefully, I said "sometimes". Today was not Jr.'s day. She pulled out the clippers on the pretext of asking nicely and the little one promptly went on to combo #1...




SVD does not think the world is ready to see Combo #1! That will have to wait.

SVD also thinks he has no chance of controlling these girls by the time they become teenagers. He is wondering if he will be alive to see them reach their teens at this rate!


.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 2:15 AM, Blogger Visithra wrote...

lol seriously cute - but that was something sharp id rather have the kid wailing then seeing it in her hand for so long

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 4:58 AM, Blogger Balaji S Rajan wrote...

A question for SVD. Do you agree that we are not confident enough like our parents.

I think our Parents were excellent in many things and we are losing certain qualities which we should inhibit from them. This small act of your little one, could be avoided by bringing her naughty activities through a character and narrating the eventuality she meets in handling clippers. Anyhow after the story is completed we should also ask them the moral, and they will exactly tell the message that they should not play with clippers and only Adults should use them for kids. I have tried these kinds of stuff in handling my kids in the past and it is one of positive parenting.

As an excellent DAD (I know everything only through your posts) I am sure you can do this.

Children are so cute! I agree with you.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:48 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

hi visithra, the clippers are special baby clippers you can buy with the thick plastic where they cannot turn the clippers easily to cut mode.

still the little one had managed to turn it slightly. if you see the cut in the editing, I pulled it out, flipped it to closed position and gave it back to her to hold.. at that point she cannot really clip anything.. at the most scratch herself with the tip (which she did not).. trust me, on this Balaji Sir, the most hurt she has been was when I was still holding her with one hand and was allowing her to climb down from a single concrete step from our living room to the backyard!

we are trying stories, being nice etc. she takes me for a ride. Jr. tells me stories on how to be a good dad by buying her things and listening to her. she is doing the "positive parenting"

:)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 5:45 AM, Blogger Balaji S Rajan wrote...

ha..ha..ha.. LOL..LOL... I told you kids are very smart...

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:20 AM, Blogger Hip Grandma wrote...

tHAT WAS A VERY NICE VIDEO.hOW old is the kid?

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:32 PM, Blogger GVK wrote...

Great video. Reminds me of my 18-month old grandson Siddarth, who lives in San Ramon, Calif. Must forward your 'Possesive Baby' clip.
My wife and I, when on loose ends in Mysore, play the Siddarth video, with a segment that is not very different from your nail-cutter sequence. It's digital camera, instead of the nail-cutter, in our video.
Incidentally, I wonder if you know of the Bay Area NRI Parents Association.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:45 AM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

Hip Grandma, she is 20 months old!

GVK, thanks. Thanks for the link also.

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home