Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Sunday, July 01, 2007

:) :) :) :) :) and then some...

The local movie distributors for Sivaji finally decided to drop the ticket price to 11 bucks (close enough to the normal 10$) and I had instantly booked two tickets. The added bonus was watching the movie with Balaji, who managed to recreate the original first show ambience for me!

Now this post is not a movie review. I do not think I qualify as a reviewer. Also, I am not sure if a review by default has to be unbiased. I am a Rajni fan (but not a fanatic. I strictly turn off the fan in the attic when I watch Rajni movies) and I am very biased!

In retrospect, my wow (sabatham) to watch the movie only after ticket prices dropped to the regular levels was stupid. I should have just gone three weeks ago, just to take in the audience factor. What the hell was I thinking ? I slept on the pavement at Chestnut and 38th(?)in Philadelphia 15 years ago, outside a ticketmaster window, when there was a foot of snow on the ground, just to get Pink Floyd tickets for a third show that was added last minute. The first two shows had sold out in 8 minutes with people buying tickets over the phone, and did I forget to mention that I was 15th or 16th in line and the queue of people in the pavement was more than 100 ? Stupid, stupid stupid me!

Still, the San Jose crowd doesnt fail to disappoint. Half an hour before opening time, there was a line of around 200 people. The non-desi onlookers were giving the line the amused look. They have probably not seen a desi line that long in downtown san Jose at 7:30 in the evening. We did get nice seats and there was no dearth of whistles and catcalls once the movie started. If the audience was slow to react to some stylish manouvers by Thalaivar, there was always the BB's in the audience who would start the whisling! More than once I pinched myself, just to check if I had died and gone to Rajni heaven.

Rajni cannot top this performance when it comes to style. He has simply outdone himself. The only question a Rajni fan can ask after coming out of the movie is, what next?

If you go to a Shiva temple, you are supposed to sit down for a second before you come out. It has almost become customary for people who write Sivaji reviews or movie experiences to say at least one thing that bothered them during the movie.

The one and only thing that bothered me during the entire 3 hours ?

Well, picture the height of style, the height of glamour, the most amazing set design, art direction and the music starts for a song.. and then the voice and pronunciation just kills it for you! Aaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. Simply stated in BHU lingo from two decades ago, it was KLPD! You guys probably know exactly what I am talking about!

In spite of that, the movie was worth every penny. I am not talking about my 11 bucks here. I am talking about the millions of dollars spent in making this movie!

Rajni rocks !!


.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:40 PM, Blogger Life Rocks!!! wrote...

great to hear that comment..me too booked to watch the movie tomorrow...i'm all excited!!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:37 PM, Blogger Narayanan Venkitu wrote...

Glad you enjoyed it Sundar!

11 bucks seems ok, but I feel it will come down.!!

I am not a big fan of crowds, whistles, kalpporam etc...so I'll wait !

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:59 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

LR, great! you will love it if you are a Rajni fan.

Narayanan Sir, just wait for next week..maybe maybe there will be the 5$ tuesday thing. but the way the economics is working on this one, they might just stop with the 11 or 10 buck tickets!

:)

but my recommendation is to watch it on the big screen. watching those magnificent sets and the songs in a home theater just doesnt do justice to it..

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:46 AM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

Glad you enjoyed the movie ! I could mirror you thoughts..!

But do let me know what is KLPD...curious !

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:42 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

Kavi, what is more interesting is that I was under some extreme stress the whole week for various reasons .. so when I went to the movie, I was really in zombie mode. I had no expectations when I went in. was not going in with a critical eye.. and I enjoyed it thoroughly. If I had seen it with a view of judging it, wouldnt have enjoyed it that much..

:)

btw, the blog already has a PG13 rating. Dont want it to get NC17.. so I have emailed you the urban dictionary definition for KLPD.

a word from another time, another place!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:20 PM, Blogger Visithra wrote...

yayyyyyyyyy finally u watched ;p

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:02 AM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

visithra,

yep.

all songs except Sahana by Udit "tongue tied with rubberband" Narayanan are still running in my head..

:)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

great non-review!

'btw, the blog already has a PG13 rating. Dont want it to get NC17.. so I have emailed you the urban dictionary definition for KLPD.'

i was about to file an official complaint with you for using a four letter word on the blog.

you were at bhu twenty years ago?

'all songs except Sahana by Udit "tongue tied with rubberband" Narayanan are still running in my head..'

that is probably also because it is running in *my* head!

'I am talking about the millions of dollars spent in making this movie!'

you might have said 'crores of rupees' instead, because that is what was spent!! :-)

- s.b.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:36 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

s.b., okay. okay.. dollars rupees.. namakulla enna.. thalaivar padaththula currency maththara madhiri naanum maathittennu ninaichukkonga!

:)

Rajni padaththulaye expect pannadha logica en commentla expect pannalaamaa ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home