Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Monday, May 21, 2007

When you assume ..

My high school physics teacher taught me :

When you "ass-u-me" you make an ass of you and me!

So, I did make an ass of me, when I assumed that textbooks in the USA would go through some kind of rigorous checking and proof reading before hitting the stands.

Worse, I assumed that teachers who give homework handouts, will check what they hand out, for quality!

As most of you have pointed out in response to my previous post, it does not sound right to write the letter "M" that way.

The reason I got all mad was that 5 of the 26 alphabets had an error in the way the strokes were mentioned!! Imagine how it would slow a kid down while taking notes in high school or college! I survived high school simply because I would write very fast and take extensive notes to go over at home. God forbid, Jr. ends up learning like me, and relies on notes, except she cannot write fast enough because 20% of the time she is going back and forth writing wrong strokes.. the nightmare!!

Here are some pictures from the homework sheet.



ACtually the option in the book (Phonics II - California syllabus ?) is worse!




Me rest case!

What ?

That sentence will be perfectly legitimate and taught in text books by the time Jr. hits middle school.


.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:51 PM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

The assumptions part..you are bang on !

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 8:28 PM, Blogger Jeevan wrote...

Some used to tell the marwadi or gold makers drop the stone that rub the gold in the water or any liquid to drink. Even I to take Thanga Baspam sometime back by advice by doctor. Coins in fish tank it’s new!

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 3:27 AM, Blogger Visithra wrote...

u know i was once working on a website for a uk based univ - assuming their work was edit free - we posted everythign only to find the grammar so horrible we had to rewrite the whole book !

i stopped assuming then ;p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home