Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Tasty treats..

One of the highlights of visiting West Mambalam was the local Idiappam (which we call Sevai).



The sevai is sold in front of a house in Station road. People just stop by on their way home from work and eat (or take home). The roadside stall opens at 4 and closes as soon as it gets dark.

For 15 rupees you get a box of plain Sevai (incidentally this is the same aluminum container in which the airlines serve their main course!). For 18 rupees you get coconut and lemon flavoured sevai.

They also sell Kozhukkattai (sweet dumplings)..

The sevai is freshly made and is yummmmmy as can be. I was dreaming of the sevai on my return flight, when I saw that container..Why couldn't I have had Sevai on the in-flight menu ? What if that dude started a branch where we live ? He could call it "Drive by Sevai".. etc. etc.

hmmmmmmmmm...yummmmmmmmy..just thinking about it makes my mouth water again!

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Is that why you chose to go to Subbu sir's tuition sundar :) ?

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Sundar annah (can I call you that?)
if the iddiyappam that you speak of is the same as the ones Sri Lankan's make then might I suggest finding a local Sri-lankan restaurant. ( I don't know if there is any, but I'm guessing there is) In toronto you could probably get 100 for less than $5. Granted they don't always taste as fresh or good as when it is homemade but once you mix it up with coconut milk and sugar, it's so good you'll barely notice the difference.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

"Spice Hut" in Sunnyvale (and their branches in San jose, Newark etc) serve Idiappam with coconut milk and kurma of your choice. Definitely may not be of the same league as the sevai from West Mambalam, but I go there when the cravings hit and i get tired of cooking rice stick noodles from Asian grocery stores as substitute for Idiappam. Try it sometime.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 6:40 PM, Blogger Visithra wrote...

ah idhiyappam - such a simple thing ;p yet so gloriously good ;p heh even found a similar version in a neighbouring country ;p

idhiyappam n sothi (yellowish coconut curry - a sri lankan special) absolutely delicious - n as suggested by sivajini u should try it at a srilankan restaurant ;)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 1:30 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

anon, dont know what you mean by Subbu sir! the only class I have gone to that is close is Balu sirs IIT physics class. but no one refers to him as Subbu sir.. so dont get your comment..

sivajini, yeah. you can join the official sundar's rakhi sisters club. Problem is dont know of any good sri lankan restaurants here ! will find out. Know two good malay restaurants (coconut grove and banana leaf!) but their rice noodles is more like the thai noodles..

anon, we are regulars at spice hut. they catered jr.'s birthday party last year ! we actually get the plain idiappam from there and come home and make thengai and lemon sevai from it. but you have go get it when they just make it. if you go late in the evening it develops a leathery skin on the surface!

visithra, still looking for a lankan place here..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home