Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Which comes first ?

Here is a twist on the "Which comes first, the chicken or the egg ?" conundrum ..

Which comes first ? The parent or the child ?

Why should I even bring this up ? Well, my four year old daughter has suddenly grown up after her birthday, now that she is a "big girl" by her own (and her mommy's) declaration. Part of being a "big girl" is to talk to daddy with the same all knowing attitude as mommy, grandma's, great grandma's and aunty's..(note no male relatives are mentioned above).. I guess the big boy vs. big girl debate will have to be postponed to another day! This post is not about the whole boy vs. girl thing.

It is about how I am supposed to listen to her! Every 5 minutes or so, she talks to herself or her toys and then looks at me and goes, "daddy, you are not listening to me!". It is getting on my nerves.

To top things off, I called my mom in India this morning. My average phone conversation to anyone in India is like watching the compressed version of friends that is now circulating on youtube.. it is an emotional rollercoaster ride (except it goes on for nearly 20-30 minutes). I tried to make a point and asked my mom to stop interrupting me and "listen" for once ! My logic was that based on an extrapolation of Jr. becoming a "big girl", I have also become a "big boy" and have earned the right to ask my parents to listen to me ..

I couldnt have been farther from the truth. All I got on the other end was a
"let me talk. you shut up and listen" which was continued by the "Great Grandma memorial lecture", on everyones place in the heirarchy, who knows what, etc. etc.

How come, I got left out of the growing up chain all of a sudden ? What is happening here ? Either my parents start listening to me or I stop listening to Jr.

I will let them fight this one out.

ps. Any tips on helping me grow into a "big boy" will be greatly appreciated.

pps. tips from the big girls will be valued more than the big boys unless the boys can prove that they are ISI approved and certified !

3 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 12:38 AM, Blogger Visithra wrote...

like the first question u never have n answer to the second one ;p hehhe

I have a different problem - my mom refuses to talk to me when shes watching tv n would even get upset - but the moment i watch tv she has a million thinks to say n im supposed to listen - humph

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

lol. Sorry had to laugh, good luck with making people believe that you are grown up :)

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:17 AM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

Not ISI mark. Not certified. So.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home