Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Saturday Night Food

Another blast from the past post from the good old Banarasi Babu days. We used to go to a dhaba on the edge of Lanka road, outside the college gate called Sebak and eat the "usual" dal tadka and tawa rotis, followed by some rice with yogurt.

Then we used to stroll across the street (which was all of 10 feet wide) to get some hot milk or rabdi (this is north Indian liquid'y Therattupaal for those South Indians reading this blog) before getting back on our bicycles and riding back all the way to the hostel. By the way, the only two cycle shops in Lanka gate which compete with each other are still there but we see a lot more bikes and scooties inside BHU than cycles!

We stopped at Sebak and my wife and FIL gave me a look. San's eyes said "Who are you and what have you done with my husband?" while my FIL looked at this thing with amusement. He said "I am not sure if Sangeetha or the kids will come and eat at this dhaba but if you want to go ahead, eat".. so off I went and ordered the usual and finished it off in record time.

The street outside sebak is only wide enough for two autos or pat-pats. A Toyota Innova completely blocks the road and that meant I had to eat before a cop came and pushed us out. We took the Dahi and rabdi "to go" and Pahelwanji said thank you in his usual style..




He asked me "Aap kitne saal baad vaapas aaarahe hi?" (after how many years are you coming back?). Must have been an obvious guess from the way yours truly was drooling at the rabdi on that giant plate!

Later at night the little one who loves sweets gave her verdict

"This is really good Appa!"

It is a crying shame that we don't have the likes of Sebak and Pahelwan here..

One can always wish!

.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

"this is north Indian liquid'y Therattupaal for those South Indians reading this blog"

you are missing three-quarters of south india now ;-)

- s.b.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Have survived many a kaiyendhi bhavans until I tried a roadside place in Kaasi, recommended by my saapaatu raman cousin. The food was delicious but was bedridden for weeks after that.

WA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home