Disclaimer : My thoughts on this site are not intended to cause physical emotional or financial harm to any person or thing mentioned in this site or to the reader and I take no responsibiilty for the same.. So read at your own risk!! I also hope this font is large enough to be considered legal and small enough not to make my blog ugly !

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Balsem Harimau

The easiest way to get around a head splitting migraine is to rub some Tiger Balm on your temples, tie a towel around your head, switch off the lights and close your eyes for an hour or so.

The rest of the stuff will still do it, but the Tiger speeds up the healing by leaps and bounds!

My daddy was and is a big fan of Tiger Balm. So were all the folks on his side of the family. My mothers dad on the other hand would just crush some camphor with Tulasi leaves (Holy Basil) and keep that near my nose and my headache would go.

When I was old enough to read ingredient labels, found that the main ingredients in Tiger balm are not far from Camphor + crushed Tulasi and it all made sense.

Little wonder then that Hanuman temples were my favorite hangout during hot migraine prone summer days. The smell of the temple was just so soothing!

Anyways, back to the balm. MIL realized that the small vintage bottles that are currently in use are from as early as 1999 and was shocked. The bottles are so old that the labels are smudged and the expiration date isn't exactly obvious. So on her way here, she picked up a nice new bottle for me.

It has been a long time since the last bottle was purchased and the packaging sure has come a long way while the bottle still retains its old world charm. Saw the instructions in many languages inside the bottle and started laughing..

Indications: Effective in relieving headaches, stuffy nose, insects bites, itchiness, muscular aches and pains, sprains and flatulence.

Directions : Apply TIGER BALM gently on affected areas.

Yes.. at first I read it and said "hmmm.. doesn't flatulence mean...?" It has been a long time since those damn GRE practice tests and had to google to confirm the hunch.

One question leads to another.

So, you rub tiger balm on your tummy and you can get rid of gas?

Has anyone actually tried this trick?

Please do share your experiences.



.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 5:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

sundar:

"So, you rub tiger balm on your tummy and you can get rid of gas?"

i have not tried it, but i have a theory...

i think persons who rub tiger balm on their tummy will get rid of their gas just like a tiger does (now, i have never been near a tiger when it happens, so i cannot really say what that sounds like!). ;-)

- s.b.

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 4:31 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

"...Tiger balm on your tummy and you can get rid of gas"
Surely you kid !

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 10:28 PM, Blogger Kavi wrote...

Oh..how i wish this can be used against those that are so full of gas ! i mean the BS chaps !

:)

Your post sure is thought provoking !

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 11:02 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

I just wrote down what it says in the instructions ..

actually the "tummy" was inferred..

god forbid they intend to rub in affected area aka rear end..

now Tiger on your temples burns for a good 5 minutes.

Tiger on the wrong end might give water boarding a run for its money! then again it might relieve you of gas.


...

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Good one I was laughing for quiet a while. My imagined way too much with pictures in head.

take care and keep it coming,
V

 
I am not responsible for comments posted by others... At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Harimau means tiger in Malay language. How did you know that, or is there a balm called Harimau?

-dora

 

Post a Comment

<< Home